SQL Backup 7.7

JonathanWattsJonathanWatts Posts: 418
edited June 7, 2016 9:08AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
We're pleased to announce that SQL Backup 7.7 which can be downloaded from http://www.red-gate.com/products/dba/sql-backup/

This is a minor release of SQL Backup Pro and includes the following enhancements and bug fixes:

New features
Support for backing up and restoring SQL Server 2014 databases
SQL Backup UI and the SQBHostedStorageClient.exe now run on .NET 4 only platforms

Bug fixes
The Activity History no longer scrolls to the top of the list when the auto-refresh is triggered

This release also include three previously released patches:
    Fixed an issue in SQBHostedStorageClient.exe where it was occasionally possible for a backup to become corrupted in upload to hosted storage Fixed a crash in the SQB Convertor UI when converting SQB files to native SQL backups Fixed spurious 976 error message when backing up an AlwaysOn secondary
Jonathan Watts

-Project Manager
-Red Gate Software Ltd

Comments

• Hi, I'm interested in the specifics of "support for backing up SQL 2014 databases" as I've been using SQL Backup 7.6 against SQL2014 since October 2013.
  • The issues we fixed were around combinations of keywords, where SQL Server 2014 worked slightly differently to previous releases:
    • BACKUP USER DATABASES WITH DIFFERENTIAL, FULLIFREQUIRED - the full backup was not being generating if it was required
    • BACKUP LOGS WITH FULLIFREQUIRED - was generating a wrong exit code
    • BACKUP WITH CHECKSUM, CONTINUEONERROR - this was returning the wrong error code, if there was an error
    • BACKUP ALL DATABASES - wasn't properly excluded snapshot databases
    Hope this helps,

Colin.
  • I have recently upgraded SQL Backup pro from 6.5 to 7.7, and since then the time taken for backup has increased. The backup jobs which use to take approx 5hrs now takes approx 7 hrs. But the restore speed has improved, the restores which use to take 5hrs now takes approx 3 hrs.

Can someone please help with this? I don't know why backup speed degraded after the upgrade to 7.7.

Will really appreciate any information regarding this.
  • Hi mohammad.hafizullah,

There shouldn't be the change in performance that you're experiencing -- please contact product support, they should be able to help you with this.

Best regards,

Colin.
  • I am having issues with a BIG SQL database timing out during the backup and was wondering how I can find the log files?
  • Hi markkathyc0pley,

There's information about log file location at https://documentation.red-gate.com/display/SBU7/SQL+Backup+log+files

If this doesn't help, please do get in touch with our product support team.

Thanks,

Colin.
  • NC SoftwareNC Software Posts: 9 Bronze 2
    I have a bug in 7.7 and it's been there for a long time concerning encrypted backups. When I right-click on a database to restore it the dialog comes up to enter the encryption password. There is a problem with focus on the form, the progress dialog not dismissing, I'm not sure what but being able to input the password is near impossible. I have to click the task bar icon in Windows 10 to get focus back to the password dialog and it's a fight to do so. I can eventually get the password entered and click next. It may be the "validating password" progress dialog interfering? Please fix.