SSMS crashes when restoring tab with many connections

ismeisme Posts: 119
edited July 31, 2014 9:20AM in SQL Prompt
Hey RG,

Yesterday opened a multi-server query connected to around 300 servers to perform a quick global audit of server settings.

I closed SSMS without closing the tab first.

Today when I start SSMS, it always crashes after a few seconds.

jemv9dV.png
SQL Server Management Studio has stopped working

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

To workaround the issue, I renamed the SavedTabs.db file in SQL Prompt's AppData folder:
rename "C:\Users\iain\AppData\Local\Red Gate\SQL Prompt 6\SavedTabs.db" SavedTabs.db.bak

After that SSMS started normally. To my surprise the tab still appeared, but in a disconnected state.

My SQL Prompt version is version 6.3.0.354.

My SSMS version is 11.0.5058.0.

Can you make SQL Prompt more robust in a situation like this?

Maybe an option to ignore tabs over a certain number of connections would be best to avoid the situation. I wouldn't like to have to wait to connect to 300 servers anyway!

Thanks!
Iain Elder, Skyscanner

Comments

• Aaron LAaron L Posts: 596 New member
    Hi Iain,

I'm sorry for the inconvenience that Prompt has caused you!

I think having a limit on the number of connections (and the number of tabs) that it'll try to reopen is an excellent idea - I'll see if we can get this into our 6.4 beta build next week and will let you know when it's up.

In the beta already we've made a couple of improvements that should help improve Prompt's robustness such as reducing the memory used during reopening tabs as well as putting a limit on the maximum size of each tab - although I guess this wouldn't help in this specific case.

Thanks,
    Aaron.
  • Thanks, Aaron.

I've created a UserVoice item to add an option to ignore tabs over a certain number of connections.

Vote here:

http://redgate.uservoice.com/forums/944 ... oring-tabs
    Iain Elder, Skyscanner