Install error for Data Compare 10.7

MindstikeMindstike Posts: 3
Hello all,

Attempting to install Data Compare 10.7 to a Win7 machine for a developer. Upon attempting to launch the install, a error box pops up:

"The Applications has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the app event log or use the cmd-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail"

Well.. the sxs tool, only reports back gibberish when I open the log. The even t view however shows a error of:

Activation context generation failed for "C:\package\RedGate\10.7\Media\SQLDeveloperBundle.exe" Error in manifest or policy file "C:\package\RedGate\10.7\Media\SQLDeveloperBundle.exe" on line 0. Invalid Xml syntax

Does this look more like a corrupted install file possibly? Tried other searches to reinstall Runtimes.. and this user had ver 10.4 on.

Off the bad the install file was using the more generic executable icon vs the "setup" style icon seen in most applications.

Any thought/ideas would be great.

Thanks

ML

Comments

• Hello,

Thanks for your post.

That does sounds like it's a corrupted installer. If you're trying to install from a network location, can you try moving it locally and re-running? You might also want to try running the installer explicitly as administrator.

If that doesn't help, can you try re-downloading from here? http://www.red-gate.com/dynamic/product ... e/download

Thanks,
    Evan
    Evan Moss
    Product Support
    (866) 627-8107
  • Thanks for the thoughts!

I will try to re-download the installer. Indeed I did copy local, and I have admin access to the machine.

I also put in a ticket with our local helpdesk to verify the corrupted nature. I did try to install to another machine with the same error.

Will report back later on any results.

ML