Options

Visual Studio 2008 - Need to "Connect to Server" every time.

GeraldPGeraldP Posts: 3
edited July 16, 2014 3:20AM in SQL Prompt Previous Versions
I am not sure what changed, but as of recently I am having a very annoying problem with the SQL Prompt (version 4.0.3) integration in Visual Studio 2008.

SQL Prompt used to pick up the database form the solution/db project somehow. As of recently I need to rerun "Connect to server" every time I open a new window for editing a SQL file.

How does SQL Prompt decide on which connection form the DB project to use? Is there any way I can tell it to use a particular connection for the entire DB project or even the entire solution?

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    The way I understand it, every SQL edit window in a VS database project has a connection associated with it. So when you open the window, Visual Studio is providing the connection information to that Window object and SQL Prompt is using that connection information.

SQL Prompt, by the virtue of the way it works, requires an active connection in a session so it can check for new columns. So you will probably be prompted to connect to that server is you are working disconnected.
  • Options
    I uninstalled 4.0.3 and dug around our software vaults and found the original installer we had for (4.0.2.53). After installing that everything was working again the way it used to. Not sure if it was the uninstall and re-install process that fixed it, or if it only works with the older version.
  • Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi could not find any record of this problem in the bug database except one where it was happening exclusively in VS2012. That was fixed in version 6.0.