Options

BUG: Error when only SQL 2005 is installed on a system

mrichmonmrichmon Posts: 20
edited March 16, 2006 1:53PM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
I found a bug and am not sure where to report bugs, so I posted here.

When only client tools for SQL 2005 is installed on a client machine (and not the client tools for SQL 2000) you get an error when trying to synchronize if you select "Launch the script in SQL Query Analyzer"

Instead of launching the script in the SQL 2005 Management Studio (which now encapsulates the query analyzer) it just errors and you lose the entire synch process.

Comments

• Options
    Hello,

There can be following things for this.

1. There was no server 2000 or 2005 installed and you installed the SQL Compare and then later server 2005, so it remebers the Query Analyser only.

2. SQL Compare was installed when server 2000 was on the machine, and later it was upgraded to server 2005. in this case also it only remebers the Query Analyser.

Instead of doing the installation in order from scratch, it can be corrected by editing the registry; "KEY_CURRENT_ USER-Red Gate-SQL Compare" and changing the key Viewer Type from 0 to 1. But please be carefull with registry editing, if you make mistakes it can be a blunder.

Regards,

T. Kato
  • Options
    I am sorry but none of those situations apply.

This is a brand new system. SQL Server 2005 was installed first.
    Then SQL Compare was installed.

There is no way is should "remember" Query Analyzer since that was never installed on this machine.
  • Options
    Thanks.

But it is strange to do so, the way you have done. Can you check the value of the registry keyword I mentioned; 0 or 1.

T. Kato
  • Options
    It is not strange.

That you think so makes me think you are not very familiar with computers.

I am not going to change any registry settings unless an officail person from Red Gate states that is the solution.

Additionally it is a bug. I think it needs to be addressed.

If you are not from Red Gate, then please do not comment any further as you are making incorrect assumptions.
  • Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi There,

At the moment the only way to change from Query Analyzer to Management Studio is by changing the registry key as described above. In version 5, this is being added to the menu to allow you to change this on the fly.

When SQL Bundle is installed, it checks for the presence of Management Studio and sets this key value to '1'. Otherwise, it's 0. So in your case, SQL client side tools either were not installed before SQL Bundle or our detection method needs to be reviewed.

We check this key:
    SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\Shell\InstallDir

If InstallDir is not blank, then ViewerType is set to 1.
  • Options
    Thank you for the confirmation.

I think the detection method needs to be reviewed.

As I mentioned this is a brand new system that I just installed - on a brand new hard drive that never had anything installed on it before. After windows was installed, SQL Server 2005 was installed first (at least the client tools - not the full server)

Then other software was installed.

Then, one of the last installs were the Red Gate products.

I checked the registry setting just now - it is not blank. It is set to:
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\Binn\VSShell\Common7\IDE

As for changing the registry manually, the information provided in the post by T. Kato, is not a complete path to a registry entry.

If a change needs to be made in the registry then the full path should be provided. I know how to find it, but others experienceing this problem may not - especially if they are standard users, not used to making registry changes.

So, as the forums are one of the major forms of support for the Red Gate products, for the benefit of others who run across this thread, I think a Red Gate representative should confirm the complete path to the registry entry as well as the entry and value to set to work around this bug.

I also repsectfully suggest that the detection method should be reviewed.
  • Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Sorry about that, the registry path is in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. I'd quickly copied and pasted it from the source code and c# uses an integer to describe the hive, which is 2, corresponding to HKLM.
  • Options
    Additionally, I just installed SQL 5 Beta on a system with the same setup. Again it tried to launch Query Analyzer - not Management Studio and failed. At least in version 5 Beta, it produced an error, rather than killing the entire synch process.

I also tried installing it on the same system we have been discussing. It too did not detect that SQL 2005 is installed. The registry of the viewer type there (for version 5) is also set to 0.

This emphasizes to me that the detection process is flawed or has a bug.
  • Options
    So to clarify for people following the thread (and Brian can you confirm this is correct?):

The detection process is supposed to check:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\Shell\InstallDir

The place to change the registry setting:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Red Gate\SQL Compare 4\ViewerType

1 - means SQL Management Studio
    0 - means Query Analyzer

Yes the ability to change on the fly in version 5 beta is nice and does work well.