Connection failed for (local)

webrunnerwebrunner Posts: 28 Bronze 1
edited March 21, 2016 4:24AM in SQL Monitor Previous Versions
Hello experts,

I want to know the possible causes of this scenario, and how it can be fixed.

1. I am running SQL Monitor 3.3.
2. We recently upgraded two servers from SQL 2008 R2 to SQL 2012.
3. One of the servers is monitoring correctly.
4. The other server, however, has the following issue:
4.1. Under Configuration > Monitored servers, under the server name, it shows "Monitoring Connected"
4.2. Under the (local) section, though, it shows "Connection failed Cannot connect"

Does anyone know why SQL Monitor 3.3 would be able to connect to the server name but not to the (local) instance? I tried running the WMI test at this link
http://www.red-gate.com/MessageBoard/vi ... ion+failed

and it worked when tested from my SQL Monitor server to the server being monitored. But even though I re-enter my credentials or Retry the connection, the situation remains the same - monitoring connected for the server, but connection failed for the (local) section.

Thanks in advance for any help.

- webrunner

Comments

• Thank you for your post.

If you navigate back to the Configuration > Monitored Servers page, and then next to the instance showing "Connection failed Cannot connect" you should see a grey symbol indicating an Actions menu. On this menu can you select Show Log.

What are the Exception messages displayed?
  • webrunnerwebrunner Posts: 28 Bronze 1
    Hello chriskelly,

Thank you so much for your reply. The log information is posted below.

- webrunner

Date Group Event Outcome Exception Exception message
    10 Jul 2014 9:55 AM SQL GetUtcServerTimeAndProcessId Cannot connect SqlException A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)
    10 Jul 2014 9:55 AM SQL GetVersion Cannot connect SqlException A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)
    10 Jul 2014 9:55 AM SQL GetErrorLogPath Cannot connect SqlException A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)
    10 Jul 2014 9:55 AM SQL #4Jv Cannot connect SqlException A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)
    10 Jul 2014 9:55 AM SQL #nKv Cannot connect SqlException A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)
    10 Jul 2014 9:55 AM SQL #IKv Cannot connect SqlException A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)
    10 Jul 2014 9:55 AM SQL #LVG Cannot connect SqlException A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)
    10 Jul 2014 9:55 AM SQL Database Custom Metrics - fetching online databases Cannot connect SqlException A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)
    10 Jul 2014 9:55 AM SQL #7Jv Cannot connect SqlException A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)
    10 Jul 2014 9:55 AM SQL Ping Cannot connect SqlException A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)
    10 Jul 2014 9:52 AM SQL #2Kv Cannot connect SqlException A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)
  • Thank you for your reply.

All the exceptions involve the same SQL error message.

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)

Can you confirm whether you are able to connect to the SQL Server instance using SSMS? For this to be an indicative test, the SSMS should be on the same machine that you installed the SQL Monitor Base Monitor service, and you should use the same instance name and user account that you have specified for the connection.
    Thank you, Chris, for your reply.

I am looking into this now and will reply with results once I have installed SSMS on the monitoring server and tried the steps you recommended.

- webrunner
    Hello again, Chris,

With help from my systems team I was able to test the connection via SSMS and figure out that it was a firewall issue. You can close out this issue as resolved.

Thanks again,
    webrunner
  • Hi Team,

I am also facing the same issue while Opening a SQL Gen file. I am unable to load the SQL Gen file as it is throwing the below error while trying to open it in SQL Gen. I created the SQL gen file on my local and when trying to open in Server it is throwing the below error.

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)

Any help on this on how to open the SQL gen file without this error is highly appreciated.

Thanks
    Satya