Options

SQL monitor process virtual memory usage

paule123paule123 Posts: 44
edited May 21, 2014 1:43PM in SQL Monitor Previous Versions
I recently upgraded to SQL Monitor 4.0.0.1728 on a SQL Server 2008 R2 running on Windows Server 2008 R2. A few times a day I'll get low priority physical memory alerts from SQL Monitor. SQL Monitor is running on the same machine as the SQL Server.

Under system processes, the RedGate.Response.Engine.Alerting.Base.Service and RedGate.Response.UI.Server.Service are each taking about 5.5GB of virtual memory. The sqlservr process is using about 14GB working set. The server has a total of 16GB physical RAM.

When I check the log during those low memory incidents, there's "no significant SQL queries" being executed and no other significant processes being run.

A few of the indexes on the RedGateMonitor tables show 99% fragmentation, and I observed a large number of hard faults/sec in resource monitor at the top of the hour when I presume SQL Monitor is doing it's data purging.

Is the virtual memory usage of SQL Monitor something I need to be concerned about?

Comments

• Options
    I would be concerned about the level of index fragmentation you have mentioned. This will dramatically affect the speed and virtual memory usage of the queries that the SQL Monitor Base Monitor service is running on it.

Remember that the data repository database is still a database, so you need to run normal database maintenance tasks like backups, index management etc. Hopefully this will have a positive effect on what you have seen.