Options

Linking DB to SC for first time , how SC depo affected?

mario17mario17 Posts: 15
Hi,

I had broken metadata on this db, so I unlink my db and now trying to link it back, but not sure if it will be safe, will this clean all metadata from prev sc ??

On setup page I see that Linking db will <Link the database and Commit the objects>.
Does it mean that If I don't have let say usp_AlphaBravo in my BAK copy this copy will be deleted from SC depo when I do Linking? This sound scary for me....

Tx
mario

Comments

• Options
    James BJames B Posts: 1,124 Silver 4
    Just linking won't change anything.
    The DB or the repository will only be altered if you run through the process on the Get Latest or the Commit tab.
    Systems Software Engineer

Redgate Software

• Options
    Just linking won't change anything.

We have a server-side TFS plugin that ensures commit comments conform to a standard.

The plugin is blocking linking so in our experiencing just linking does something to the database because it is hitting the plugin.

I'm trying to find a work around in the plugin, but is Red-gate 100% sure that "just linking" doesn't try to commit anything whatsoever?

SQL Source Control is not giving us an option to type in a comment, therefore the comment of whatever action it is trying to perform when linking is not conforming to our standard.

Edit: It does commit when linking for the very first time, and SQL Source Control adds an #ignorepolicies into the commit comment so I was able to hard code an exception!
  • Options
    James BJames B Posts: 1,124 Silver 4
    Yes, we put in the basic folder structure and the RedGate.ssc file when you first link- so the #ignorepolicies is needed for that to succeed. From then on you need to either add a comment or the above #ignore command
    Systems Software Engineer

Redgate Software