Showing incorrectly that objects are invalid

meklemblmeklembl Posts: 107 Bronze 2
edited May 12, 2014 3:04PM in SQL Prompt
Within SSMS 2008, SQL Prompt is showing that objects, including the database, are invalid objects even when SSMS shows at the top and bottom of the screen that I am in that database and the query runs.

This does not occur on all my servers, but I do have permissions to run SELECT statements on all my servers.
Larry M
Cleveland, OH USA

Comments

• Hi Larry,

SQL Prompt requires a few more permissions for Find Invalid Objects to work correctly:
    • Select
    • Execute
    • View Definition
    • Set ShowPlan
    • Set NoExec
    • Create Trigger
    • Create Procedure
    • Create View
    • Create Function
    Please let me know if this helps! If you have any more questions let me know.

Best regards,

David
  • meklemblmeklembl Posts: 107 Bronze 2
    David,
    I am the DBA for the organization. I am the sysadm on all our database servers. I will look at the permissions at a more granular level, but as a beta tester for your product, I knew most of what you stated. I would not have posted this if I thought something else wasn't going on.
    Larry
    Larry M
    Cleveland, OH USA
  • Hi Larry,

I think I may have misunderstood your post! There's a feature in SQL Prompt called Find Invalid Objects.

Are you saying that you're writing a select statement in the query window, but Prompt is not providing suggestions for you?

Are these newly created objects (created while you've had SSMS open)? If so, have you used Refresh Suggestions in the Prompt menu?

Best regards,

David
    That is correct. It happened to me again this morning. In SSMS, on the status line it shows the correct server and database, but SQLPrompt tells me that the identical database is not found in sysdatabases and then the entire sets of objects in the select statement are marked, but the query runs fine.

Sorry for the slow response,
    Larry M
    Cleveland, OH USA
  • Hi Larry,

Would it be possible to have a remote session with you so we can see this issue in action?

Best regards,

David
    Here are some free times for this week;
    Today from 3:00 - 4:00 PM EDT
    Tomorrow most of the day.
    Thurs. 1:00-4:00 PM EDT
    Friday 9:00-11:30 AM EDT
    Larry M
    Cleveland, OH USA
  • Hi Larry,

Would it be OK to do it early tomorrow morning for you? Let me know when we can start and I'll send over a meeting invite.

Best regards,

David
    That's fine. And for upfrontness, I just checked. I am on version 6.3.0.345 and I am running SQL Search 2.0.1.8
    Larry M
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Email address is lmeklemburg@intellicorp.net
    Larry M
    Cleveland, OH USA
  • sgtmango333sgtmango333 Posts: 6 Bronze 1
    Larry, I happen to be working on a project to change the collation of a database and fix references to that database in an uncollated DB. I've found that SQL Prompt is sensitive to those collation differences and can show an object as invalid on the uncollated server due to casing. The query will run fine, but the objects show up as invalid.

It seems a little inconsistent, but I didn't dig real deep and my trial has expired. So I can't really duplicate. Just and FYI and something to look at.
  • Hi sgtmango333,

I'm one of the developers on SQL Prompt. I had a call with Larry a couple of weeks back and it looked like the problem was unlikely to us.

How are the objects coming up as invalid? Through "Find Invalid Objects" or in the query window? If they are being underlined in red in the query window, that is SSMS's behaviour.

If you see the collation issues again, please let us know!

Best regards,

David
  • sgtmango333sgtmango333 Posts: 6 Bronze 1
    Thanks David. Yes it was the red underlines, so probably SSMS and not SQL Prompt.