Options

Log Shipping - Other source

raadeeraadee Posts: 3
edited May 6, 2014 10:07AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hi,

I've run in to a question about log shipping.

The source database is backed up via TSM today, the hosting partner would like TSM to handle all the backups.

Question:
If TSM provides the log backups in a folder for the log shipping process, is it possible not to use the backup job that Red Gate creates. But only to copy these (native backup files) and restore them on the secondary?

Or should I go Native all the way for that process? (if that is even possible?)

Comments

• Options
    Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Thank you for your forum post.

I assume TSM stands for Tivoli Storage Manager and not Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing.

SQL Backup has its own file format for the backup files it creates, therefore will only restore backup files created using SQL Backup.

The choice is yours, insist to your hosting company that they use SQL Backup to backup you source log shipping database or databases. Or switch to using TSM or native SQL Server backups files for your log shipping solution.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Options
    Yes your assumption is correct, when talking backup software and TSM you can almost always assume that it is Tivoli.
    Not to be confused with TSMC (Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing) that have absolutley nothing to do with backup software.

The choice made was to go with database mirroring and snapshots so that we do not have to mess with backup/restore SLA's and resonsibilities.

Thanks for your reply.
    Rade