Roadmap

IvanIvan Posts: 10 Bronze 1
edited May 28, 2014 4:37AM in Source Control for Oracle
Hi,

Is there any info regarding the Source Control for Oracle roadmap ?
I noticed the Red Gate road map doesn't mention any Oracle tool.
Does this mean nothing is planned (for 2014) ?

Regards,
Ivan

Comments

• The Oracle team was pulled off in September last year to work on other tools and we're just starting to pick up the Oracle tools again to work on them.

We're working on a roadmap, there's an offsite next week which may change things.

Currently I'm testing a release that improves materialized view support (amongst a set of bug fixes) for Schema Compare and Source Control for Oracle (within the next few weeks I hope). I'm also finishing off a major update to Data Compare that should speed things up (parallel schema registration and a major improvement in timestamp comparison speed) – there are still a few integration tests failing so it's not quite ready for final testing yet.

If you want the pre-release version of Schema Compare and Source Control just let me know.
    Richard Mitchell
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software Ltd
  • IvanIvan Posts: 10 Bronze 1
    Last year, we bought 5 licenes for some urgent needs and evaluation of the product.
    I'm currently starting to investigate if we wan't to use the product to setup a continuious integration and release management environment for all our database developments. This would/should cover both our Oracle and SQL Server databases.
    Hence my interest in the roadmap, especially for the Oracle tools as they are lagging behind compared to the SQL Server tools available.

At first glance, what we are missing the most in SC for Oracle is support for Types and the storage clause (tablespace) for tables, materialized views and indexes.

Please let us know when you come up with a raoadmap.

Regards,
    Ivan
  • So for type support are you meaning nested tables? I've started playing with this recently and it seems to work in Schema Compare.

My simple test case is..
    create type acme.nt_nested is table of int;
    create table acme."RankTable" (
      "ID" NUMBER(4,0) NOT NULL ENABLE,
      nest acme.nt_nested)
      nested table nest store as "RankTable_nt_tested";

For storage clauses there is an option "Ignore Storage" in Schema Compare that is enabled by default.

Materialized views - as I've mentioned I've been working on a lot so now it supports complex queries, column aliases and grants. Indexes I'm not aware of anything outstanding.

I'm still getting up to speed on Oracle so any help from experts about missing features is really appreciated (especially if they come with a simple reproduce case).

Richard
    Richard Mitchell
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software Ltd
  • Of course I've just realised this topic is in Source Control - so disabling the "ignore storage" option isn't available (yet).
    Richard Mitchell
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software Ltd
      Types :
      Assuming the nested tables are supported (we didn't test it), that's fine. However, the type definitions themselves (unless I'm misstaking) are not. The same as grants to users/roles are supported, but the users/roles themselves are not. The support of those (and other database objects) are part of a feature request on the forum for which we also voted.
    "Ignore Storage" option :
      I wasn't aware of this option in Schema Compare, good to konw. However, as you point out, it's not helping for SC for Oracle as that tool doesn't allow you to change the default options used. This one also is a feature request on your forum.

Thanks for your feedback so far,
    Ivan
  • Creating users and roles is one level above what Schema Compare is designed to do. We can't create the target via the script. I was thinking about adding a UI for schema creation when creating the comparison but I'm not sure that's right either.

I've just checked the nested type and it does appear in the Schema Compare interface.

I've had a look into allowing options for comparison and it seems doable - there's even a file for it that isn't yet used (comparisonoptions.xml). It's on my list to look at as a potential quick-fix.

Richard
    Richard Mitchell
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software Ltd
    Creating users and roles :
    In fact, we are not realy planning to create roles/users, but we would still like to be able to compare them. Naturally we understand, in the concept of Schema Compare, comparing doesn't go without creating...

Still, most of the blocking points to use SC for Oracle are linked to the missing possibility to configure the compare options. Most missing functionalities are already covered by Schema Compare.
  • Good to know, I'll hopefully get something for the options out soon(ish). Probably not in the upcoming release though.
    Richard Mitchell
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software Ltd
  • Just so you know I'm working on the options in Source Control however the main issue is actually creating storage options that are granular enough to be useful. The current single option has the subtlety of a sledgehammer.

What individual settings would you think are necessary? So far my ideas run to...

“Ignore Tablespaceâ€
    Richard Mitchell
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software Ltd