Bug when reflecting public method parameters of type Guid

ribblesribbles Posts: 4
edited June 13, 2014 10:11AM in SmartAssembly
Product: Smart Assembly Professional 6.8.0.121

This bug came up while using Microsofts WebAPI framework. It occurs when an interface method has either a Nullable<Guid> or Guid = default(Guid) parameter. Here is a console app to reproduce the issue:

using System;
using System.Reflection;

namespace ObfustactionTest
&#123;
	&#91;Obfuscation&#40;Exclude=true&#41;&#93;
	class Program
	&#123;
		static void Main&#40;&#41;
		&#123;
			var method = new Action&lt;Guid&gt;&#40;MyMethod&#41;;
			Console.Write&#40;"method:"&#41;;
			Console.WriteLine&#40;method&#41;;

var param = method.Method.GetParameters&#40;&#41;&#91;0&#93;;
			Console.Write&#40;"param:"&#41;;
			Console.WriteLine&#40;param&#41;;

Console.Write&#40;"RuntimeParameterInfo.DefaultValue:"&#41;;
			Console.WriteLine&#40;param.DefaultValue ?? "&#40;null&#41;"&#41;;

Console.WriteLine&#40;"Success"&#41;;
			Console.ReadLine&#40;&#41;;
		&#125;

public static void MyMethod&#40;Guid arg1 = default&#40;Guid&#41;&#41;
		&#123;
			Console.WriteLine&#40;arg1&#41;;
		&#125;
	&#125;
&#125;

Unobfustcated result:
method:System.Action`1&#91;System.Guid&#93;
param:System.Guid arg1
RuntimeParameterInfo.DefaultValue:&#40;null&#41;
Success

Obfustcated result:
method:System.Action`1&#91;System.Guid&#93;
param:System.Guid &#9787;
RuntimeParameterInfo.DefaultValue:
Unhandled Exception: System.BadImageFormatException: An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format. &#40;Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007000B&#41;
   at System.Reflection.MetadataImport._GetDefaultValue&#40;IntPtr scope, Int32 mdToken, Int64& value, Int32& length, Int32& corElementType&#41;
   at System.Reflection.MdConstant.GetValue&#40;MetadataImport scope, Int32 token, RuntimeTypeHandle fieldTypeHandle, Boolean raw&#41;
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeParameterInfo.GetDefaultValueInternal&#40;Boolean raw&#41;
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeParameterInfo.GetDefaultValue&#40;Boolean raw&#41;
   at &#9787;.&#9827;.&#9786;&#40;&#41;

Comments

• Can I take a wild guess that this was targeted for .Net 4.0 or above?

It seems OK for .net 3.5 which, is very strange, I know but may serve as a workaround?
  • Yes - 4.0
    Unfortunately we are unable to target another version of the framework. Was the sample code adequate?
  • yes- the sample code shows the issue perfectly.

We seem to have an issue with default parameters generally- I have created a new bug but there were some existing bugs of this nature too.
  • It has been 5 months. Any updates?
  • Any udates on this issue ?

I'm having the same problem with a .NET 4.5.1 targetted MVC / WebAPI project, so i'm unable to run this project through SmartAssembly.

The response i get calling a WebAPI method results in:
    &#123;"Message":"An error has occurred.","ExceptionMessage":"An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format. &#40;Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007000B&#41;","ExceptionType":"System.BadImageFormatException","StackTrace":"   at System.Reflection.MetadataImport._GetDefaultValue&#40;IntPtr scope, Int32 mdToken, Int64& value, Int32& length, Int32& corElementType&#41;
    at System.Reflection.MdConstant.GetValue&#40;MetadataImport scope, Int32 token, RuntimeTypeHandle fieldTypeHandle, Boolean raw&#41;
    at System.Reflection.RuntimeParameterInfo.GetDefaultValueInternal&#40;Boolean raw&#41;
    at System.Reflection.RuntimeParameterInfo.GetDefaultValue&#40;Boolean raw&#41;
    at System.Web.Http.Internal.ParameterInfoExtensions.TryGetDefaultValue&#40;ParameterInfo parameterInfo, Object& value&#41;
    at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ReflectedHttpParameterDescriptor.get_DefaultValue&#40;&#41;
    at System.Web.Http.ModelBinding.ModelBinderParameterBinding.ExecuteBindingAsync&#40;ModelMetadataProvider metadataProvider, HttpActionContext actionContext, CancellationToken cancellationToken&#41;
    at System.Web.Http.Controllers.HttpActionBinding.&lt;ExecuteBindingAsyncCore&gt;d__0.MoveNext&#40;&#41;--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---

Thanks in advance.
  • No updates, sorry.
  • We are getting the same error, using SmartAssembly v6.8.0.121 and .Net 4.5.1

Do you know how can I report this error to redgate? I have been told that redgate priorities errors due to the amount of reports submitted.

Anyone knows?
  • We have the same problems in ASP.NET MVC with the same version of smart assembly.

As far as I could see problem appears for us only in case of nullable parameters with default value null. So as workaround we just removed default null value.