Support for localdb databases

scotteb@mindspring.comscotteb@mindspring.com Posts: 16 Bronze 2
edited April 9, 2014 9:55AM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
Greetings! I'd like to compare the structures of a set of databases that include localdb, the attach on demand sort. I have SQL Compare 10.4.8.87.

I don't see any method to do this in the UI.

I did find a documented command-line switch, tempinstance, that sounded promising. However, when I run sqlcompare /Database1:ComplianceRisk /tempinstance:"Data Source=(LocalDb)\v11.0;AttachDbFilename="d:\users\scot\documents\visual studio 2013\Projects\ExampleEF_MVC\App_Data\aspnet-ExampleEF_MVC-20140318063820.mdf";Initial Catalog=aspnet-ExampleEF_MVC-20140318063820;Integrated Security=True"
I receive Error: Invalid command-line argument: /tempinstance.

When I run sqlcompare /? the tempinstamce argument is in fact not listed.

So, what's the best route for this compare?
Also, if tempinstance is available, note that I surrounded the argument with double-quotes, and that the connection string therein also contains double-quotes. Will this parse correctly?

Thanks,
Scott

Comments

• For the version of SQL on my machines, enter "(localdb)\v11.0" as the server name.
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    It appears that localDb can be accessed using (localdb)\v11.0 and should act like an Express instance of SQL Server.

The /tempinstance is something to do with "migrations V2", which is a continuous integration feature of SQL Compare. It's not something you would use unless you are attempting to do CI.