Generating change script for Database using SOCO

raghav4192raghav4192 Posts: 2
edited April 1, 2014 11:58AM in Source Control for Oracle
I was very much impressed looking at SOCO seamlessly integrating with Oracle and Subversion.

In my organization, developers cannot apply Oracle changes and is streamlined through a group of DBA. As in this case, if I would like to apply changes made in Subversion to a DB can SOCO generate the change script to be handed over to the DBA group.

Also in a release process, changes in Subversion will first be applied to test DB and then to Quality DB and then to pre-production and Production DB. How does SOCO help to connect changes checked in a single subversion url to multiple Oracle DB instances ??

Answers to this questions will be key for us to pursue using Redgate SOCO.

Comments

• Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Hi, thank you for your forum post.

To answer your questions:
    In my organization, developers cannot apply Oracle changes and is streamlined through a group of DBA. As in this case, if I would like to apply changes made in Subversion to a DB can SOCO generate the change script to be handed over to the DBA group.

SOCO will not generate a change script that you can then pass to a group of people. A sister product called Schema Compare for Oracle will help you, as you a compare a schema with a scripts folder and generate a deployment script.

SOCO, allows a person to make changes to a schema and check this changes into source control. The schema can be dedicated schema to that individual or a schema that all developers have access to.
    Also in a release process, changes in Subversion will first be applied to test DB and then to Quality DB and then to pre-production and Production DB. How does SOCO help to connect changes checked in a single subversion url to multiple Oracle DB instances ??

In theory, you would have project for each schema in test, quality, pre-production and production connected to the same URL. If a developer is working on the test schema, he can lock the objects that he is working with.

I recommend that you contact our Sales Team [sales@red-gate.com], who will be able demonstrate SOCO and the other Oracle tools to you.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com