Profiler doesn't play well with COM+

frazierbfrazierb Posts: 3
edited April 1, 2014 11:57AM in ANTS Performance Profiler 8
I'm trying to use Performance Profiler 8.5 to profile a COM+ application and every time I start a session, it shuts down the COM+ application I have selected and never starts profiling. I have followed the recommendations in the documentation (Server Activation and Access Control), but with no luck.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Comments

• The most common reason for an issue with COM+ service is adequate permission since the service will usually run with very different permission to that of a logged in user. Is this service targetted for .Net 4 (or higher). If so, I would advise using the 'attach to process' method of profiling first.
  • The COM+ application is running under an administrative account which happens to be the same as the logged in user in this case. Funny you mention .NET 4; it is targeted for that but when I attempted to attach, the dllhost.exe (process that the COM+ application runs as), it is grayed out and unelectable.
  • Often- its not enough to be an admin account, you still need to (right-click) run as administrator before UAC allows full permissions. That's the only reason I can think of right now why it might be greyed out.

That COM+ doesn't work in other modes seems to be a fundamental bug which I have reported.