Why Does SQL Monitor Try To Log Into DB during Maint Window?

EdCardenEdCarden Posts: 134 Silver 1
I have a maintenance window defined on my SQL Monitor 4.1.1 instance for 10 minutes starting at 2:00AM. Today I find that SQL Monitor is not monitoring because its attempt to login was denied and thats because it tried to login at 2:02AM during the defined maintenace window.

Am I missing something or is the maintenance window used for telling SQL Monitor when it should not try to access the SQL Server(s) it is monitoring?

Comments

• EdCardenEdCarden Posts: 134 Silver 1
    Nervermind. I just remebred having this exact same issue with SQL monitro 3 and I'm fairly certain with SQL Monitor 2. Since we upgrade once every 1-2 years I had forgotten about this little quirk.

I assume SQL Monitor is built with teh assumption that the SQL Servers its monitors will never go off line or down and so if it fails to connect the you have to manually force it to re-try the login or edit the 'reconnectAfterAuthorizationError' setting located in the 'RedGate.Response.Engine.Alerting.Base.Service.exe.settings' file. At least that was the solution for SQL Monitor 3 so I assume its the same for version 4 but if thats wrong please reply.
  • Hi Ed,

It shouldn't be trying to connect during the maintenance window at all, so that's a bit strange, but the 'reconnectAfterAuthorizationError' solution should solve it regardless.

It might also be worth setting the maintenance window for a few minutes longer to check if that could solve the problem.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
    Evan
    Evan Moss
    Product Support
    (866) 627-8107
  • EdCardenEdCarden Posts: 134 Silver 1
    Evan Moss wrote:
    Hi Ed,

It shouldn't be trying to connect during the maintenance window at all, so that's a bit strange, but the 'reconnectAfterAuthorizationError' solution should solve it regardless.

It might also be worth setting the maintenance window for a few minutes longer to check if that could solve the problem.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
    Evan

Evan,

Updating the reconnectAfterAuthorizationError value in the config file is what stopped this Alert from being raised again. We reboot the system regularly and not once has this alert been raised during the maintenance window since I changed reconnectAfterAuthorizationError in that file.

Ed