Restore permission denied.

maddavemaddave Posts: 28
edited March 6, 2014 10:05AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hi, I am sure this is a configuration problem on my part, but for the life of me I cannot see it.

I have a primary server where SQL Backup is backing up a database fine.

On a separate secondary server I have two SQL instances - 2008 and 2012, both running on the same machine. If I perform a restore of a backup of the primary database to the 2008 instance, the job runs fine. If I perform the same restore job to the 2012 instance, I receive the following error:

Error 890: Restore Database permission denied for database (databasename)
SQL Error 15404: Could not obtain information about Windows NT group/user "domain\SQL Backup User", error code 0x6e.

The user the SQL Backup agent is running under is a sysadmin on both sql databases and in the admin group on the server.
SQL Backup version 7.6.

Can anyone point in the direction of what could be wrong?

Comments

• Anu DAnu D Posts: 876 Silver 3
    Thanks for your post.

If SQL Backup Agent and SQL Server's security accounts cannot contact a domain controller to get the security ID for the SQL Backup Agent's account, you will get this error.

The most common reason for this is that the SQL Backup Agent is running as a local service, which does not have permissions to access the domain controller on the network. Changing the SQL Backup Agent to run as a domain account with sufficient permissions to access the domain controller should resolve the problem.
    http://documentation.red-gate.com/displ ... ermissions

Hope this helps.
    Anuradha Deshpande
    Product Support
    Redgate Software Ltd.
    E-mail: support@red-gate.com
  • Thanks. I knew it was something like that! The service and agent account were not domain accounts. I have now changed and all working ok.