Options

SQL Backup 7 - Looking at buying but

t7noht7noh Posts: 2
edited March 4, 2014 12:28PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hi,

I have installed and i can do a backup but i want it to copy it over our network to the server i have installed.

So to be complicated we have a hosted platform in the US with a VPN connection. On a way trust domain, linking to our office in england.

The software is in the office in England. If i install the client on the sql servers in hosting at local service its runs and a backup can be done locally. the compression rate is awesome. But then i if want to copy over network from hosting to england office it complains saying folder cannot be created.

So i reinstalled the backup agent with a service account on our hosting platform and now it says

Backup could not access [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Red Gate\SQL Backup\BackupSettingsGlobalEST] running as user [1495823-S12EST1].

and now no backups.

This software does not seem to work well in a multi domain environment. I have tried enabling SQL browsing doesn't work even after a refresh. Added domain account into registry and the service stops working. If i have no trust in place i.e. using SQL accounts only how does this software work?

Comments

• Options
    Greetings,

Sorry you are having difficulty with SQL Backup.

The error:

Backup could not access [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Red Gate\SQL Backup\BackupSettingsGlobalEST] running as user [1495823-S12EST1].

Typically indicates a permissions issue.

The log on account of the SQL Backup agent requires access to the registy. Specifically the following keys.

•The SQL Backup Pro backup settings registry folder HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Red Gate\SQL Backup\BackupSettings\<instance>
    •The SQL Backup Pro backup settings global registry folder HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Red Gate\SQL Backup\BackupSettingsGlobal\<instance>
    •The Red Gate licensing registry folder HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Red Gate\Licensing\SQL Backup or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Red Gate\Licensing\SQL Backup (for 64-bit machines).

Please go over the following document on the permissions required for SQL Backup to ensure that you have the necessary permissions.

http://documentation.red-gate.com/displ ... rmissions#

Regarding your issue copying to a network share on a different domain the above link states that you will need to set up matching accounts in each domain.

From the documentation:

"
    Working with servers on different Windows domains

If you are working with servers which do not participate in the same Windows domain, you can still use SQL Backup Pro to work with them as usual by setting up "matching accounts". This will be necessary if you want to copy backups to a locked down network share on a different Windows domain, or set up log shipping between servers on different domains.
    1.Create accounts on each machine with identical user names and passwords.
    2.Set the SQL Backup Agent service to log in to the SQL Server using the account created in step 1, using the sqbsetlogin extended stored procedure. For more information, see Changing the authentication mode above.
    When log shipping, the SQL Backup Agent on both SQL Servers must log in using the matched account.
    3.Give the account on the other domain access permissions to the relevant locations.
    "

Sincerely,
    Manfred
    Manfred Castro
    Product Support
    Red Gate Software