I didn't learn to sort that way [fixed]

jochem4207jochem4207 Posts: 47
edited January 23, 2014 4:22AM in Deployment Manager
I'm sorting my table with variables by step.

But when I sort the one or the other way I don't see the logic behind it's result:

I've sorted from high to low and i'm getting this as result

7. step x (highest step i've)
7. step x
7. step x
5. step y
5. step y
1. step a
1. step a
6. step z
6. step z
All steps
4. step o
4. step o

If there is a image or other stuff needed for debug I can post it.
I've reorderd some steps in the past.

Is this a known thing? Is it my fault?

I also notice that when I change the sort it wants to save, but it doesn't save the new sort?!

Comments

• Sorry about that! We're sorting by the internal GUID of the step (if you look at the JSON for the project in DM's database you should be able to see the GUIDs).

I've added a post-it to our Important Bugs row of our whiteboard to address this. The fix might ship a week today.
  • I've just committed the fix for this (internal reference 470b7f4085cd). I'm hoping that it'll ship next Wednesday.
  • I've just committed the fix for this (internal reference 470b7f4085cd). I'm hoping that it'll ship next Wednesday.

Thank you, that was fast :)
  • I got the fix today and it's absolutely making the variable list better to read now.

I'm still curious why the save button gets active when I change the way I want to sort?

Example:
    If I click on variable name sort and it changes, it asks me to save the page before I leave it. But that save seems useless. It doesn't save the way I sort.

To be clear I dont expect that my sort gets saved because its just 1 click work.
  • Hi, I'm adding the ability to save your sorted list in order as we speak. (Well, not *as* we speak, but you know what I mean.)

I know you might not need it, but I'm hoping it will help people with longer variable lists keep the variables organised.
    (It was also a quicker fix than the alternative. :wink: )

One use of this is to do two sorts, to sort by one field and then by another, and then save it. This will give you a list sorted by the second field, then by the first.
  • Okay, it's in, you'll probably get it next week.
    Thanks for telling us about these.
  • Hi, I'm adding the ability to save your sorted list in order as we speak. (Well, not *as* we speak, but you know what I mean.)

I know you might not need it, but I'm hoping it will help people with longer variable lists keep the variables organised.
    (It was also a quicker fix than the alternative. :wink: )

One use of this is to do two sorts, to sort by one field and then by another, and then save it. This will give you a list sorted by the second field, then by the first.

No problem!, Thank you and the DM team for fixing them! (and even on very short term).
  • Okay, it's in, you'll probably get it next week.
    Thanks for telling us about these.

Got them, super awesome!