Allow Windows Authentication with specified credentials

paulo_morgadopaulo_morgado Posts: 97 Silver 2
edited December 16, 2013 12:11PM in SQL Data Compare Previous Versions
My company is implementing a policy where all connections to databases must be made using Windows Authentication.

On top of that, there are, at least, two domains (Production and Quality Assurance).

Connecting to a database with a single set of credentials is easy (see Tip: Connecting To A Database Using Windows Authentication With Different Credentials Using SQL Server Management Studio - http://msmvps.com/blogs/paulomorgado/ar ... tudio.aspx).

Comparing databases across domains has been, so far, impossible.

It would be nice to be able to specify the credentials for Windows Authentication.
Paulo Morgado
Portugal
Web Site
Weblog
Twitter

Comments

• Thanks for your post.

I can see why you would want to do this, so I have added your suggestion as a feature request.

Hopefully it will be considered for a future version of SQL Data Compare.

For your reference the feature tracking code is SDC-939.

As an alternative - and if the user is valid on the client machine, you can start SQL Compare UI with 'run as' and specify a different user.
    Chris
  • paulo_morgadopaulo_morgado Posts: 97 Silver 2
    Thanks Chris.

The problem with SQL Data Compare (and SQL Compare, for that matter) is when I need to compare databases from diffrent servers with different Windows credentials.

Will it make SQL Data Compare 8? :D
    Paulo Morgado
    Portugal
    Web Site
    Weblog
    Twitter
  • Michelle TMichelle T Posts: 566 Gold 1
    This feature is unlikely to make SQL Data Compare 8.0, I'm afraid - we're already at our quota of extra features that need UI work.
    Software Developer
    Redgate Software
  • Is this feature available in the latest version of SQL Compare?