Options

Perf profiler 8 buffer overrun msvcr100_clr0400.dll

jfaberjfaber Posts: 5
edited November 13, 2013 7:57AM in ANTS Performance Profiler 8
Hello,

We are testing Ants profiler 8 to see is upgrade is posible.
I start Ants from VS2010, and select profiling on line level mode. Soon after the program to profile starts, it fails with a buffer overrun exception in msvcr100_clr0400.dll.
When running our program without profiling, we do not have any problems.

With our current Ants version 6, we have the same problem, although I do not know if it is a buffer overrun there as well.
The current version of our porgram uses .Net 4.0.
Our previous version used .Net 2.0, and with that version we have no problems profiling. But there have been a lot more change than only switch from 2.0 to 4.0, so I am not sure this is the deciding factor.

For the test I used the newest Ants 8 - 8.3.0.8 - running on Windows XP with sp3 and all the last updates.

Any help on how to continue?

Comments

• Options
    It very much depends on how much time you have to help us investigate this.

Your process running under ANTS has crashed with a 'deep' issue. The only way to really know why your process crashes is always the same- you have to debug it.

I am always prepared to fully debug a process if I can get hold of a full, local reproduction but realise, of course, this is rarely possible.

A compromise is always get hold of a full memory dump and I can try to analyse that.

Usual workaround are to dial down the detail and try any other profiling mode- method level, sampling etc.

Other techniques include testing with a simplified version of your project in order to narrow down the code that doesn't work well under profiling but this is very intensive.