Options

Setup troubles on a non-default instance

aaron.bertrandaaron.bertrand Posts: 24
I don't have a local default instance. I only have:

.\SQL_2000_SP4
.\SQL_2005_ENT

During installation, I chose not to install the services at that time (because it only offered to do so against a default instance). It told me I could do so after SQL Backup was installed.

So, after setup, I launched SQL backup, and registered the 2005 server. I right-click, choose Backup, and it tells me:

Confirm
.\SQL_2005_ENT does not have SQL Backup 4 installed. Do you want to install it now?
Yes No

I say Yes, and then it tells me something I already knew:

Information
The Backup Wizard cannot be started:
1 registered server does not have SQL Backup 4 installed.
OK

If I go to Tools/Manage extended stored procedures, it says:

Confirm
.\SQL_2005_ENT does not have SQL Backup 4 installed. Do you want to install it now?
Yes No

When I say Yes, it tells me something I still already knew:

Information
The extended stored procedures management dialog cannot be started:
1 registered server does not have SQL Backup 4 installed.
OK

It seems the only way the dialogs work as you might expect them to is if you right-click the server node, rather than an individual database, and select backup, then say Yes to the first prompt.

Then, I had multiple problems with OLE/xp_cmdshell. I manually added the 4 extended procs, which completed successfully, then the dialog said that it couldn't execute master..sqbutility

If I try to exec that extended stored procedure directly, I get:

Msg 17750, Level 16, State 0, Procedure sqbutility, Line 1
Could not load the DLL xp_sqlbackup.dll, or one of the DLLs it references. Reason: 126(The specified module could not be found.).

Comments

• Options
    peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    SQL Backup could not install the SQL Backup server components in this case because your server has prevented such actions (it's a good thing, really).

You can install the server components manually by using the SQBServerSetup.exe file found in your SQL Backup installation folder. If you are using version 4.1, simply run this executable and select the instance you need to install it on. If you are using 4.0, you need to pass the instance parameter when you run this executable. In your case, it would be

sqbserversetup /i sql_2000_sp4

and

sqbserversetup /i sql_2005_ent
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Options
    Thanks for the informatin Petey, I was having the same problem.

I just want to add one thing: remember that each installation will create its own SQL Backup Agent. The name of the agent will be "SQL Backup Agent-<INSTANCE_NAME>. You need to start this agent after installation.

I discovered this when I attempted to configure SQL Backup for the instance. All the tabs within the Option dialog box were greyed out, and I couldn't figure out why. I figured it out when I tried to do a Backup from the GUI and got an error message that the SQL Backup Agent service could not be started. Once I started the agent, I could set the Options.