Problem with web.config transformations

bsimmondsbsimmonds Posts: 3
edited October 28, 2013 8:49AM in Deployment Manager
I have run across an interesting issue that I have not been able to find a solution for. We currently use the redgate deployment manager addon for visual studio to help streamline our deployment process, however, whenever we publish using the deployment manager it does not take the web.dev.config transformation file that we created into account.

At first, I thought that it might be a syntax issue so I found a tool that confirmed our syntax was correct. I tried a standard "publish" within visual studio (just going to a file system to make it easy) and the web.config file does change appropriately. It is only with the redgate deployment manager that the file does not change.

I was curious if anybody else had run into this issue with redgate or if they have any idea which way to look as I have not been able to find a solution.

Comments

• Hi Brett,

I've replied to your question on stack overflow:
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1955 ... 2#19569992

Let me know if this solves the problem!

Best wishes,

Justin
    Justin Caldicott
    Developer
    Redgate Software Ltd
  • Thanks for your timely response! I shot a reply on stack overflow, but thought I would post it here as well (not sure which you will see first).

I tried what you are suggesting and both the web.config and web.dev.config files were deployed, however, the transformations were not done so both config files were sitting separately on the server. I tried a standard publish through visual studio and the transforms still work as expected. Only when I use the redgate deployment manager am I running into the transformation issue. Any other suggestions?
  • Hi Brett,

Are you able to send me the log file for the deployment? Passwords should be masked out anyway in the log, but worth a double check!

My email: justin.caldicott@red-gate.com

I'll then take a look and get back to you.
    Justin Caldicott
    Developer
    Redgate Software Ltd
  • Just to confirm the answer for anyone else who is looking. The issue was that the Environment name in Deployment Manager (not machine name) didn't match the name of the web config transform.

For example, if you have an environment called "Development", you need to call your web.config transform web.Development.config.
    Justin Caldicott
    Developer
    Redgate Software Ltd