Extended Properties

TechquestTechquest Posts: 3
edited March 15, 2006 1:07PM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
I am using version 4.0.0.263 to compare a database on SQL Server 2000 with a newly created database on SQL Server 2005. I noticed the following things.

1. within the main comparison screen I see the following code for one of the extended properties

sp_addextendedproperty N'GUID', N'㜂㜂㜂䞁㜂㜂㜂�', 'USER', N'dbo', 'TABLE', N'OrgList', 'COLUMN', N'ParentOrgID'
GO
@TRANCOUNT>0 ROLLBACK TRANSACTION
GO
@TRANCOUNT=0 BEGIN INSERT INTO #tmpErrors (Error) SELECT 1 BEGIN TRANSACTION END
GO

when I script itto a management studio I see the below code

sp_addextendedproperty N'GUID', N'媤覢䭕墑ⷠ笒맘', 'USER', N'dbo', 'TABLE', N'OrgList', 'COLUMN', N'CorrectOrgID'
GO
@TRANCOUNT>0 ROLLBACK TRANSACTION
GO
@TRANCOUNT=0 BEGIN INSERT INTO #tmpErrors (Error) SELECT 1 BEGIN TRANSACTION END
GO

When I try to execute the code I get the below mentioned error

Msg 15135, Level 16, State 8, Procedure sp_addextendedproperty, Line 38
Object is invalid. Extended properties are not permitted on 'dbo.OrgList.ParentOrgID', or the object does not exist.

Also the no of extended properties I see in the management studio does not match with the extended properties that are created with the SQL Compare tool.

Any Ideas?

Comments

• I am also having problems synchronising extended properties the probelm appears to be that sql compare is substituting USER where it should in fact be SCHEMA

e.g.

SQL compare produces

sp_addextendedproperty N'Description', N'Updates an existing user in the Users table.', 'USER', N'Requests', 'PROCEDURE', N'updateUser', NULL, NULL

but this should be

sp_addextendedproperty N'Description', N'Updates an existing user in the Users table.', 'SCHEMA', N'Requests', 'PROCEDURE', N'updateUser', NULL, NULL

Regards

David
  • dscotland wrote:
    I am also having problems synchronising extended properties the probelm appears to be that sql compare is substituting USER where it should in fact be SCHEMA

e.g.

SQL compare produces

sp_addextendedproperty N'Description', N'Updates an existing user in the Users table.', 'USER', N'Requests', 'PROCEDURE', N'updateUser', NULL, NULL

but this should be

sp_addextendedproperty N'Description', N'Updates an existing user in the Users table.', 'SCHEMA', N'Requests', 'PROCEDURE', N'updateUser', NULL, NULL

Regards

David

Many thanks for your report, I'll fix it soon.

Regards,
    Andras
    András Belokosztolszki, PhD
    Red Gate Software Ltd.
  • Hi,

I see the post 2 weeks ago saying "this will be fixed soon". However, We are having the same problem with version 4.1.0.59. This is a newer version than the product originally reported at the beginning of this thread.

Is there any estimate as to when this issue will be fixed? This is a serious problem for us as we are developing applications on SQL 2005 and need to be able to sync between our development and production servers.

Thanks
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi,

The original post does refer to a beta version and as far as I know the problem had been fixed (with many faces red about the new SCHEMA ownership in SQL 2005). I'll see if I can get Andras to have another look for you.
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    This should be addressed in an upcoming maintenence release (4.3). This is still a few weeks away.

Thanks!
  • On Feb 17th you said the 4.3 release was a few weeks away. However, I still see only version 4.1 listed on the website.

It has been a few weeks - in fact a month. Is this fixed yet and is there an update on this release? This is a critical bug that is seriously hindering our operations.

Right now we have to manually modify every script which is labor intensive, time consuming, and very error-prone.