Visual Studio 2013 Extension

mtrutledgemtrutledge Posts: 8
edited December 5, 2013 11:57AM in Deployment Manager
Is there a deployment manager extension available for Visual Studio 2013 RC?

Comments

• We've had a few requests for this - I don't have an eta for it just yet, but I'll update this post as soon as I know more.
    Systems Software Engineer

Redgate Software

• This is being worked on as I type. We'll keep you updated.
    Justin Caldicott
    Developer
    Redgate Software Ltd
  • We have just shipped v1.1.1.953 which has support for Visual Studio 2013! Upgrade, try it and give us feedback. Thanks!
    Chirayu Shishodiya
    Software Engineer - Deployment Manager
    Red Gate
  • I have a question -- will this plugin eventually support non web apps? Or does it already? I'm trying to give it a shot, but the menu item "Publish for deployment..." only appears when right clicking on a web app.

It would be very handy if it supported non web apps!
  • Hi Levi,

You're right that it can only publish web apps at the moment.

What kind of projects do you need support for?
    Justin Caldicott
    Developer
    Redgate Software Ltd
  • Hi Levi,

You're right that it can only publish web apps at the moment.

What kind of projects do you need support for?

Support for C# console apps would be great! I have many C# console apps I run on our network servers and Deployment Manager is absolutely perfect for this.

I got it to work with the RgPublish command easy enough, but it's sort of a pain (I obviously could automate this with a shell script or something).

It would be wonderful if I could just right click my C# console app project, and publish to my package feed similar to how it works for web apps.

It's not that big of a deal to have this, as I can just use RgPublish, but it's one more step I have to take, and I'm sure you know how lazy programmers are. =)
  • I know all too well, I'm one too! How do you start the console apps?

Are they running as windows services?
    Justin Caldicott
    Developer
    Redgate Software Ltd
  • I have them all running via the task scheduler.
  • Ok, and how do you start and stop them?

Presumably you have some PowerShell for this? If we extended the Visual Studio add-in to console apps, we'd need to have support for deploying them too, which presumably means:
    - Stopping the process
    - Updating the scheduled task
    - Starting the process?

If we didn't support the deployment, then PowerShell in the project could still be used.

Do you have any PowerShell that you use for this that you're able to share on our PowerShell forum?
    Justin Caldicott
    Developer
    Redgate Software Ltd
  • How I update them is pretty ghetto -- I just disable them by hand, copy the new files over, and re-enable the tasks.

I had assumed I would just write some powershell that executes during my deployment that does this for me, which isn't a big deal at all.

Thanks for the quick responses by the way!
  • You're welcome!

Ok, so I think the main thing then is just enabling console apps to be published. Any Deploy.ps1 files marked as Content will be included in the package and ran at deployment time.

The question for us is what to include in the package that we create. Web apps have a publish target in MSBuild, so it's easy to know what to package. For console apps, we could package the OutputDirectory, but this might not work for everyone. eg. Depending on files outside of the OutputDirectory.

Would that work for your case?
    Justin Caldicott
    Developer
    Redgate Software Ltd
  • When I used RgPublish, I just pointed it to my OutputDirectory and that worked for me. But I have pretty simple requirements (no files are required outside of my OutputDirectory)

So, to answer your question -- Yep! That would definitely work for my case!
  • Perfect, thanks Levi.
    Justin Caldicott
    Developer
    Redgate Software Ltd