Compare 10.4.8.87 : bug store proc with multiple modules ?

This version 10.4.8.87 bug on store procedure with multiple modules.
Without any modification, each refresh show difference (module lacking) between the same procedure (exactly the same procedure in fact)

Regards

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Can you please let us know how to reproduce this behaviour?
  • Of course :

Please, create 2 databases nammed DB_1 and DB_2

Create this store procédure on DB_1 and DB_2

GO
    /****** Object: StoredProcedure [dbo].[Z_RG_CS_Test] Script Date: 10/14/2013 16:22:15 ******/
    SET ANSI_NULLS ON
    GO
    SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON
    GO

CREATE procedure [dbo].[Z_RG_CS_Test] as
    begin
    print 'M1'
    end

GO
    /****** Object: NumberedStoredProcedure [dbo].[Z_RG_CS_Test];2 Script Date: 10/14/2013 16:22:16 ******/
    SET ANSI_NULLS ON
    GO
    SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON
    GO

CREATE procedure [dbo].[Z_RG_CS_Test];2 as
    begin
    print 'M2'
    end

GO
    /****** Object: NumberedStoredProcedure [dbo].[Z_RG_CS_Test];3 Script Date: 10/14/2013 16:22:16 ******/
    SET ANSI_NULLS ON
    GO
    SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON
    GO

CREATE procedure [dbo].[Z_RG_CS_Test];3 as
    begin
    print 'M3'
    end

Then, compare structure on DB_1 and DB_2.
    Refresh the comparaison more and more, without any change.

On my computer, after 4 or 5 refresh, a difference appear.

Regards,
    The issue is probably that SQL Compare doesn't support numbered stored procedures, since they were deprecated after SQL 2000.
  • I too am having this issue.

This was working for me in SQL Compare 8. We purchased SQL Compare 10 in order to get support for SQL Server 2012. Since the upgrade we have had unreliable comparisons for our SPs.

Has RedGate acknowledged this as a defect that will be corrected in an update? Does anyone know a workaround for this?

Thanks!
    - Kevin
    Since we have no reproduction of this issue, I cannot offer any advice. There is no huge, sweeping problem in the comparison of stored procedures - if there was believe me this forum would be struggling to keep up with the traffic.
    Kevin, I noticed you already opened a call with support regarding numbered stored procedures. If this is the case then that's a firm no - numbered stored procedures were deprecated in SQL Server 2000 and they won't ever be back-ported in SQL Compare as Red Gate have deprecated support for SQL Server 2000*.

I am somewhat confused about "it stopped working in SQL Server 2012" though - I expect that's a coincidence?

* Specifically SQL 2000 will continue to work but current/future versions are no longer tested and any fixes necessary to support SQL 2000 will not be done**.

** Unless someone blackmails our CEO or it's otherwise necessary to save mankind from complete and utter destruction.
  • I think you've misunderstood. The issue isn't SQL 2012 related.

Our organization wants to upgrade to a new version of SQL Compare because we want to use SQL 2012 (instead of 2008R2).

On version 8, SQL Compare works with numbered SPs. After the upgrade, it does not. As you can see in the ticket, this is acknowledged as a defect in the product. it was broken sometime in version 8.2:

"Unfortunately this is a known bug with versions 8.2 and higher. The reference is SC-4638."

Support had me try the beta for SQL Compare 11, and at least in my testing the defect was fixed.
    - Kevin
    I had a look at the bug report, and it is still open. It hasn't been fixed *intentionally*. You are awaiting an answer from Evan about whether or not this has been fixed. I'd keep in correspondence with him, as he is looking into this for you.