Options

Source Control Projects

PaulePaule Posts: 5
edited October 9, 2013 11:43AM in Source Control for Oracle
Question: Is it possible to copy Source Control project definitions from one installation to another?
Thx

Comments

• Options
    Hi Paule,

Sincere apologies for the delayed response, I dropped the ball on this one.

This is not currently easy to do. Unless you have a huge number of users and projects we'd strongly advise against trying this, but it can be done with some messy copying and editing of some folders and config files (not for the feint hearted).

If you are interested in the feature but are also willing to wait for us to implement it in the user interface, it would really help to know your precise use-case.

For example:
    1. whether your team would all be working on the same development database?
    2. how many projects they'd have (roughly) each?
    3. how often people would add or remove projects, and why
    4. roughly how many schemas there would be in each project (1, "a few", "lots" would all be reasonable answers!)

The messy workaround is to copy all of the content in the location:
    %localappdata%\Red Gate\Source Control for Oracle 2

You'll then need to edit at least the config file:
    LinkedDatabases.xml

Which contains users specific information about where that folder is located. For example for me to use projects set up by my colleague Ben Tozer, I had to run a find and replace on that file to change "ben.tozer" to "michael.christofides" in multiple places.

If anybody reads this and has answers to those questions and/or questions about this, please don't hesitiate to get in touch.

Best regards,
    Michael