Options

Loving DM2 - How should I manage "roll-back"

jakenutsjakenuts Posts: 13
edited September 20, 2013 9:15AM in Deployment Manager
To start, thanks so much for your work on this product. It really fills the "last mile" of my continuous integration process, not an easy feat. I've now got a really smooth commit->build->package->deploy setup using Deployment Manager 2.0, Github and TeamCity.

One thing that I've always wanted to improve on though is rolling-back from a production release that has some fatal flaw (I can't write a test to save my life). Since DM2, by default, switches a site to a new folder for each release (cool idea) rolling back to an earlier build would be really fast/easy if I could just point the site at an earlier folder. Is that something that might be supported? I know with more complicated deployments (i.e. database changes) that wouldn't really work but for simpler sites it would be pretty great.

Thanks!

James W

Comments

• Options
    Hi James,

This depends on the stage at which you notice that you want to rollback. Ideally nothing should get to production in a broken state. We recommend you have a staging environment, which is a replica of your production environment, thus allowing you to deploy to staging and check that everything works prior to promoting a deployment to production.

If it does get to production in a broken state, then there are general two situations:
    • It has deployed successfully but there is something wrong with the live site. In this situation we would recommend you redeploy the last successful deployment.
    • It has failed to deploy successfully - for this situation we are currently considering implementing a rollback mechanism.
    How would you want rollback to work and how would you want to set it up?