Conflicts with SQL Server 2012 Sequence objects

rikoriko Posts: 9
I have create some sequence objects and successfully checked them into source control.

However, whenever I get latest, they are returned as conflicts, even thought the sequences in the database and source control are shown to be exactly the same.

E.g. (mine and theirs exactly the same):
-- Sequence

CREATE SEQUENCE [dbo].[seq_EnvID]
AS identifier
START WITH 1
INCREMENT BY 1
MINVALUE -9223372036854775808
MAXVALUE 9223372036854775807
NO CYCLE
CACHE 
GO

Note: In this case, "identifier" is a custom type I have created and checked in:
CREATE TYPE [dbo].[identifier] FROM [bigint] NOT NULL

When I select "theirs" and click the get latest button, it fails to run the script against the database, as it generates empty "ALTER" statements for the sequences, e.g.:
ALTER SEQUENCE [dbo].[seq_EnvID]
GO

If I choose "Keep mine" and check the changes in, I am back to square one.

Please help!

Comments

• It is also worth noting that I was getting a "The given key was not present in the dictionary." error when linking my database to source control in shared database mode (but not in dedicated database mode).

This only happens after I add the sequences to source control. The error goes away again if I remove the sequences from source control, they are simply shown as "new objects" not yet checked in.

Please can you fix SQL Source Control for sequences? I am currently evaluating the product and cannot use it if it doesn't support sequences properly... after all it is almost 18 months since the SQL Server 2012 RTM...
  • I can confirm that the issue (in both cases) seems to be the fact that the sequence has a custom type and not a built-in type.

Even though this is perfectly valid in SQL Server 2012, it is probably not supported by SQL Source Control?

This works:
    CREATE SEQUENCE [dbo].[seq_EnvID] AS bigint

This doesn't:
    CREATE SEQUENCE [dbo].[seq_EnvID] AS identifier

Can someone confirm this? And if it is an issue, is it something that will be fixed in the near future?

Thanks
    Riko
  • I've just done a quick test of this, and I seem to see the same behaviour as you are.
    I'll see if I can find out more...
    Systems Software Engineer

Redgate Software

• OK, the error reports you sent in have been logged as a bug under ref. SOC-5274.
    Unfortunately it doesn't look like this will get fixed in the immediate term; currently you're the only person to have hit this, so unless we start to see it happening a lot more from other users it'll not get looked at for a little while. It's actually a problem in the SQL Compare engine rather than SQL Source Control itself which unfortunately makes it a more involved fix.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Redgate Software

• Thanks for confirming the issue.

I guess I'll just ask my employer to cancel my SQL Toolbelt license in the "immediate term" shall I? :wink:
  • Just a note that I am being forced to check in my sequences if I want to create a migration script, which then subsequently breaks sql source control completely.

So I cannot use the migration scripts feature at all, which is more serious. Previously I could add sequences to my filter and ignore them for source control, which was a sensible workaround.
  • Is your migration script referencing the sequences? If so, then I believe it does force you to commit that too.

If not, then you should be able to bypass it, so there's probably a different issue. What's the scenario you're hitting that you need to use Migrations for, out of interest?

Redgate Software

• I am altering tables that contain existing data that I would like to keep. Migration scripts are required for that I believe.

I am currently creating a custom migration script by using a SQL Compare script as a starting point; it doesn't complain about my sequences.

In fact SQL Compare seems perfectly happy with my sequences - it can sync changes to the sequences, the objects that depend on them or the custom type being used in the sequences fine.

It's only SQL Source Control that gets itself all worked up :) [/code]
  • If Compare seems ok, the chances are the problem is in the script-reader side.
    Out of interest, can you try running SQL Compare between your DB and its related Working Base folder? (to find that, right-click the URL you're linked to on the source control setup tab, and you'll see the option)

Redgate Software