Not capturing traces

markgendeinmarkgendein Posts: 12
edited August 29, 2013 6:42PM in ANTS Performance Profiler 8
I have ANTS on a 2008R2 server and I'm attempting to profile an ASP.NET app. This has worked before on this machine many times in the past.

Today, I start a new profiling session and the profiler starts. I launch the browser but ANTS doesn't capture anything (the top window doesn't show the % processor time and the timeline doesn't move).

The profiling session is running as a domain user (manually specify ASP account details). That user is an admin on the box and is the same user that is running the IIS application pool.

If I run the session without specifying the asp account details, ANTS captures trace data. But the site throws an error message because it can't run as me. It needs to run as this domain user.

I have tried just about every combination of settings on the trace and I get the same results.

Any tips on troubleshooting this problem?

Comments

• Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4
    Hi Mark,

Thanks for your post!

Can I please check a few things..

-When you start the profiler without the ASP.NET account details specified, what is the status of the profiler (in the bottom left corner)?
    -Do you see any errors in Event Viewer regarding your application or the profiler?
    -Could you do a quick check that the domain user has read permissions to C:\Program Files\Red Gate\ANTS Performance Profiler 8\RedGate.Profiler.Core.dll and C:\Program Files\Red Gate\ANTS Performance Profiler 8\X64\RedGate.Profiler.Core.dll ?

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?

• When I start the profiler without ASP.NET settings specified, the status is "Connected" When I specify the ASP.NET settings, it stays "Launching 'Internet Explorer'"

I have 2 errors in the Windows application log (sorry, didn't think to look there).
    1) .NET Runtime version 4.0.30319.1008 - Loading profiler failed. The profiler COM object was instantiated, but the profiler failed during its initialization callback. Profiler CLSID: '{31535964-564b-462a-bf57-f80c986ebe25}'. HRESULT: 0x80004005. Process ID (decimal): 6312. Message ID: [0x2505].

2) .NET Runtime version 2.0.50727.5472 - Failed to CoCreate profiler.

The domain user is an administrator on that box but I verified that administrators have full control on both those files.

Thanks for getting back to me. I hope that error message helps.
    Many thanks for checking that! There are a few different situations that could cause a "failed to cocreate profiler" error, but it seems like the problem in this case is likely another profiler that is still hooked into the application..

Could you kindly open the registry and search for any keys with the names COR_ENABLE_PROFILING and COR_PROFILER, and delete these entries?

That should "unhook" the other profiler to get things working, but if the problem persists, another possibility is a bad VC++ runtime.. You can reinstall the runtime from here:

64-bit windows:
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... x?id=14632

32-bit windows:
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... px?id=5555

I hope this helps!

• Thanks Jessica. I hoped that would help too but alas...

The registry keys did not exist.
    I re-installed the VC++ runtime. Nothing changed.
    I made sure there were no other users logged on to the host

I did get slightly different errors this time plus an additional error that may be a better clue.

Error 1)
    .NET Runtime version 4.0.30319.1008 - Loading profiler failed during CoCreateInstance. Profiler CLSID: '{31535964-564b-462a-bf57-f80c986ebe25}'. HRESULT: 0x8007007e. Process ID (decimal): 2184. Message ID: [0x2504].

Error 2)
    Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

Error 3)
    .NET Runtime version 2.0.50727.5472 - Failed to CoCreate profiler.

Does the WMI error shed any additional light on this problem?
    Sorry to hear that didn't help!

Hmm, are you aware of any other installed profilers on the machine or any tools that might be constantly profiling your application?

I don't recognize that CLSID, but could you do a search in the registry for 31535964-564b-462a-bf57-f80c986ebe25 to see if you can link it to a particular application?

(Just a note: in the mean time, you should be able to profile using sampling mode or "attach to process")

I'm also not familiar with that second error, I'm afraid.. It may have been unrelated but I'll see if I can find anything in old tickets

• That did it.

That CLSID was to another profiler that had been uninstalled quite a while ago, but apparently it did not uninstall cleanly.

I removed all of the references to that CLSID in the registry and that seems to have worked.

Many thanks
    Ah okay, I'm glad to hear you've got it sorted! :)