SQL Backup job failed with exitcode: 850

tstadlertstadler Posts: 16
edited February 8, 2006 9:46AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hello,
I have setup SQL Backup on a cluster of ours, the full backups are working just fine, but the transation log backups fail with "SQL Backup job failed with exitcode: 850 SQL error code: 0 [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 50000). The step failed." as seen in the job history. Just a warning in the System application logs from SQLSERVER AGENT telling me the job failed and no other warnings The SQL Backup services is running under a privelaged account and I can run the Transaction log backups 1 at a time. Any help would be great.
Thanks

Comments

• Looking through the error codes it points to SQL Syntax error, not sure how this could be I used the GUI to build the scheduled jobs just like my other cluster and other servers. I can email you the script if needed.
  • Well, when using Query Analyser to run the script, I get "Database name length exceeds maximum allowed length : db1,db2,*" (Actual names are longer) The issue is I have 18 Databases and only 14 of them do a transaction backup. Looks like a char length issue with the command in SQL Backup
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello,

There is a length limit in SQL Backup, but I believe it's something like 128 characters for the database name. Can you post the backup script? Thanks!
  • I really don't want to post my db names here but I can confirm we are past 128 char because the Script that is built for the transaction logs is specifying each db name, exec master..sqlbackup N'-SQL "BACKUP LOGS [1, 3, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14] TO DISK = ''G:\SQLBackup\<DATABASE>\<AUTO>'' WITH NAME = ''<AUTO>'', DESCRIPTION = ''<AUTO>'', ERASEFILES = 2, COMPRESSION = 2, THREADS = 1"', @exitcode OUTPUT, @sqlerrorcode OUTPUT
    So I will need to break this down into multiple steps in the job. That will work.
    Thanks
  • peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    There's a bug in version 4.0 that prevents the use of long sequences of database names, though it's perfectly valid. Will be fixed in 4.1.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • 128 char limit is pretty restrictive. I get the error on every server. When is the patch for this due?
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    We're going to release this by the end of the week. The 128 character limit that I was referring to was for a single database name, which is a somewhat unrelated issue and as far as I know will still exist in 4.1.