SQL Data Compare to move data between replicated tables

CQuillCQuill Posts: 5
We have several tables that are replicated between two databases.

When it is necessary to make data changes, we update the data in our staging database.

Once that data has been verified, we use SQL Data Compare 10 to move the data to the production database.

Since tables in both databases are replicated, and the primary key is auto generated, SQL Data Compare drops the constraints before moving the data to keep the values the same.

Will this cause an issue with the replication jobs?

Thanks.

Comments

• Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Hi, thank you for your forum post.

I am unsure what will occur with your replication jobs when deploy the changes to the target database. From the limited experience with database replication, I suspect that something will go wrong.

SQL Data Compare will not drop the primary key constraint if it is the Comparison key used for the comparison of the data, even if you have the option to Drop primary keys, Indexes and unique constraints enabled.

I recommend if you have a test environment with replication configured, that you perform some tests to see what will occur with your replication jobs.

Also backup the target database before running the deployment wizard against the target database, so you can recover the database if something does go wrong with the deployment causing a loss of data.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com