Options

Primary Key not synched if Indexes are ignored - FYI

wdhenrikwdhenrik Posts: 15 Bronze 1
edited July 25, 2013 11:21AM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
This request is more for everyone else then me.

If you choose to ignore Indexes in your comparison, SQL Compare will not deploy the Primary Key with the table.

I understand that an index is associated with a Primary Key, but I wasn't expecting the Primary Key to be excluded in the table definition.

Please add some additional warning to the Description of the Ignore Indexes check box to mention that this will prevent the table primary key from being deployed with the table.

Thanks,
Wes

Comments

• Options
    This would be considered a feature request.
    You can direct feature requests to our uservoice forums.
    http://redgate.uservoice.com/forums/141 ... uggestions
    These forums are actively monitored by our development team and allow our users to request features and vote on them.
    If a feature receives a significant amount of votes or is deemed to have merit development may include the feature in a future release.
    Manfred Castro
    Product Support
    Red Gate Software
  • Options
    wdhenrikwdhenrik Posts: 15 Bronze 1
    I believe the root problem should actually be considered more of a defect, though not quite a bug. The ignore indexes option doesn't give any warning about the overlap between indexes and constraints. This can cause unexpected and undesirable schema changes.

My minimum acceptable solution was to update the description of the Ignore Indexes option with notice that it would ignore primary keys also. A better solution would be to set Ignore Indexes to only ignore non-key indexes and add a seperate option for ignore Primary Keys. A primary key is more than just an index.