SQL Prompt versus SSMS 2012 intellisense

freecell1freecell1 Posts: 33
edited August 22, 2014 5:17AM in SQL Prompt Previous Versions
Hi folks -

I just installed SSMS 2012. I've been using SQL PRompt 5 with SSMS 2008 R2 until now and like it. However in SSMS 2012 Microsoft seems to have improved the internal intellisense. Also both the intellisense and SQL Prompt are on by default so I have two layered suggestion boxes popping up. Can someone clarify how SQL Prompt differs from the built-in offering?

Thanks,

John

Comments

• Thanks for your post.

SQL Prompt 5 should be able to co-exist with the native intellisense. There are a few features (like parenthesis matching) that the native tool supports that we don't, so they can both be enabled.

However, the candidate list pop-up should only be enabled for one of them, or they will interfere with each other.

It sounds like for some reason Tools > Options > Text Editor > Transact SQL > General > Auto list members is still enabled, which would cause the native list to pop-up as well.

The main advantage over the native intelisense is the additional formatting and non-code completion features: http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-de ... ure-matrix

There is also advantages in the way SQL Prompt makes suggestions for code completion, but I have to say I'm not entirely sure how sophisticated the native intelisense has become to confirm if we still have an advantage in that area.

I hope this helps.
    Chris
  • Thanks Chris. Turning off auto-list members on SSMS options fixed my problem.
  • PDinCAPDinCA Posts: 642 Silver 1
    Priceless comments, Chris and @freecell1. Just what I needed to enjoy the best of both worlds.

Cheers, to you, too...!
    Jesus Christ: Lunatic, liar or Lord?
    Decide wisely...
  • Totally agree. I've been fighting with the two lists displaying at the same time and it was aggravating. I wanted the red error lines, but didn't want the list from intellisense, wanted it from Sql prompt. Thanks for pointing out how to disable the intellisense list!!
    Dan
  • Glad I found this post as I was getting very confused with multiple boxes appearing ...
    Cheers,
    SteveC.
  • I have installed the SQL prompt for the user, but the addin not appearing at all,user have SSMS 2012 w7 x64

for his colleage SSMS 2010 w7 x64 working just fine

Have checked the location c:\Program Files (x86)\Red Gate\SQL Prompt 5

both machine have exacly the same files, do you have any advice how we can enable addin on version of SSMS 2012?