Options

[Bugs] SQL Tab Magic / SQL Prompt 6

SphelabaumSphelabaum Posts: 12
edited January 28, 2014 5:09AM in SQL Prompt Previous Versions
SQL Prompt Version: 6.0.0.58
SSMS Version: 11.0.3000.0
Windows Version: Windows 7 SP1
Other Addons: SSMS ToolsPack 2.5.3.0
Entire Toolbelt including SQL Source Control.

Bug 1. I still get errors causing SSMS to crash with SQL Tab Magic enabled and Tab Coloring options chosen. This problem pre-existed the new version and caused my SSMS to crash repeatedly until I manually disabled Tab Magic via hand modifying the XML file. It's not as bad this time and I was able to disable it via the settings, but it is still happening.

Bug 2. When I close/Re-open SSMS, every tab I've had open since the last time I opened it, (even ones I've long since closed) re-opens. This is incredibly annoying as I tend to leave a copy of SSMS open for a week or more and connect to dozens of different servers in that time. So when I open it, 50+ queries try to re-open and prompt me to re-connect, making just re-opening SSMS a 5+ minute operation. Note: This happens even with Tab Magic Disabled and I can't find any other option to disable this.

Comments

• Options
    Aaron LAaron L Posts: 596 New member
    We've just released a new build (Tab Magic 0.5.0.184) which will hopefully fix your second bug:
    http://download.red-gate.com/EAP/SQLTab ... bMagic.zip

The first time it's run it will still open the tabs so if you want to start fresh you can delete "%localappdata%\Red Gate\SQL Tab Magic\documents.db". Any further runs should only open the tabs you had open.

We are aware the connection coloring in SQL Prompt is still a little unstable at the moment and it's on our todo list to stop it crashing ssms.
  • Options
    Perfect, thanks Aaron!
  • Options
    Update: It did fix the issue. The first time I opened SSMS it it still opened 25+ tabs (as you warned it would), so I closed all but 1, closed and relaunched and it properly kept just the one open.
  • Options
    Aaron LAaron L Posts: 596 New member
    Thanks for the update! We've been struggling to track down/fix that bug for a while now.
  • Options
    hansjphansjp Posts: 7 Bronze 1
    Aaron Law wrote:
    We've just released a new build (Tab Magic 0.5.0.184) which will hopefully fix your second bug:
    http://download.red-gate.com/EAP/SQLTab ... bMagic.zip

The first time it's run it will still open the tabs so if you want to start fresh you can delete "%localappdata%\Red Gate\SQL Tab Magic\documents.db". Any further runs should only open the tabs you had open.

We are aware the connection coloring in SQL Prompt is still a little unstable at the moment and it's on our todo list to stop it crashing ssms.

I am currently testing SQL Prompt 6 (downloaded newest version in January 2014), and the issue persists in this program!
    SO: Updating SQL Tab Magic might work, but the problem isn't fixed in SQL Prompt 6...

The trick of deleting the file "SavedTabs.db" (which is the only .db file on the described path) DID work as announced, though :)