'mode' is not recognized as an internal or external command

gvsoftgvsoft Posts: 20 Bronze 1
edited June 11, 2013 12:26PM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
Hi,

I'm using SQLCompare 10.1.0.102

Given the following command line:

sqlcompare /server1:.\\SQLEXPRESS /database1:HT /makesnapshot:2-Schema.snp /force

SQL Compare produces the following message:

'mode' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

What does this mean? Should I be concerned? How do I resolve it?

The operation appears to complete successfully and (I think) I get the results I expect.

(edit: I just updated to 10.2.0.1337, but there was no change in behavior)

- Dennis
Tagged:

Comments

• If you're using an older version of Windows, the SQL Compare and Data Compare command lines will now display this message when you run them.

It shouldn't affect their operation in any way - it's just that they're attempting to use a feature added in later versions to help fix awkward output in a few cases. The old behaviour should all be preserved in the case that this new feature is not available.

So - no need for concern, and we'll see if we can suppress the message in future versions.
    Software Developer
    Redgate Software
  • gvsoft wrote:
    Hi,

I'm using SQLCompare 10.1.0.102

Given the following command line:

sqlcompare /server1:.\\SQLEXPRESS /database1:HT /makesnapshot:2-Schema.snp /force

SQL Compare produces the following message:

'mode' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

What does this mean? Should I be concerned? How do I resolve it?

The operation appears to complete successfully and (I think) I get the results I expect.

(edit: I just updated to 10.2.0.1337, but there was no change in behavior)

- Dennis

I'm having this same issue and I'm using Windows 7 64bit. RedGate SQL Compare 10.3.8.406
  • Is still an issue with latest release

U:\>sqlcompare /?
    'mode' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.
    SQL Compare Command Line V13.1.9.5540
    ==============================================================================
    Copyright © 1999 - 2018 Redgate Software Ltd

Windows 7 Enterprise
    Service Pack 1
  • Is still an issue

U:\>sqlcompare /?
    'mode' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.
    SQL Compare Command Line V13.1.9.5540
    ==============================================================================
    Copyright © 1999 - 2018 Redgate Software Ltd

Windows 7 Enterprise
    Service Pack 1
  • Hi there - you have probably lost the reference to C:\Windows\System32 and/or C:\Windows\SysWOW64 in your PATH environment variable, which lets us use mode.com to set the output width.

Other than the output width setting (including its default value) not working, this is a harmless error message you can ignore - it doesn't affect the operation of the command line in any other way.
    Software Developer
    Redgate Software
  • Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4
    Just a note in case another user runs into this: the mode.com error should normally be harmless, but we have just seen one case where it was the main cause of a build failure. The user had to make sure that  "C:\Windows\System32;C:\Windows\SysWOW64" were both in the Jenkins node PATH variable in the node configuration section to get things working.

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?