Windows authentication in IIS 7

mortenn@hapro.nomortenn@hapro.no Posts: 15 Bronze 1
edited June 4, 2013 3:41AM in SQL Monitor Previous Versions
Hello,

I am having some trouble getting SQL Monitor to use Windows authentication through IIS.

If I enable windows authentication and disable forms authentication in IIS, I get prompted for a username and password.
Entering credentials in this prompt does not work.
Aborting it, I this;

HTTP Error 401.2 - Unauthorized
You are not authorized to view this page due to invalid authentication headers.

lookint at http headers in firebug, I send NTLM Authorization header to the server, but the response only has a WWW-Authenticate Negotiate NTLM header in it.

NTLM authentication is working fine against other sites hosted on a different IIS server.

I have tried this a few times now, with no success.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

// Cheers, Morten

Comments

• Thank you for your post.

Where are you trying to use Windows Authentication? It isn't entirely clear in your post.

The tool login has three user rules which do not support Windows Authentication in any way. But windows user accounts can be used for the actual monitoring.

But if you can clarify what you are trying to do, then I might be able to give a more specific answer.
  • I am trying to use windows authentication between my browser and the web site.
  • Hi,

I have still not been able to resolve this..
    Is it really that strange to want to secure the access to web frontends using NTLM/Kerberos?

// Morten
  • My apologies, I thought that I had replied.

While SQL Monitor does support IIS, unfortunately we cannot support the configuration of IIS. The problem is that without an intimate knowledge of your IIS setup it is incredibly difficult for me to diagnose any IIS problem, including the cause of your HTTP 401.2 error.

I do know that other users have done what you are trying to do, and I have pointed them towards the link below on the iis.net website as a starting point.

http://www.iis.net/configreference/syst ... entication

I'm sorry again for the delay and for not being able to provide much help.