SQL Compare 9.0.0.79 Standard: Ignore White Space

mbraniganmbranigan Posts: 6
edited July 2, 2013 4:33AM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
Hi there,

In SQL Compare 9.0.0.79 Standard if I do a comparison between two databases and select "Ignore Whitespace" the upper pane continues to display tables and objects that contain white space differences. The whitespace will only ignored int he lower pane.

Hence, I see a list of tables int he top pane that contain whitespace

Table 1
Table 2
Table 3

If I click on Table 1, the DDL for table 1 is displayed in the lower pane. If I scroll down there is no difference at all identified.

I would have expected that both panes would behave consistently, that if "Exclude Whitespace" was ticked, then BOTH panes would be affected.

Please let me know if there is a way to avoid this. If we upgrade to the latest version of SQL Compare will this issue be avoided.

Many Thanks

Maeve

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Maeve,

If there is whitespace in the actual object name, I don't believe "ignore whitespace" has any effect - because the object names do not match, this would not work as you would not be comparing the same object.

In SQL Compare v10, you can map differently-named tables together, so that may work around the issue.
  • Hi Brian,
    The whitespace is not in the name of the table. The whitespace is in the comment on the table. So, it is the extended properties.

If you read my question. It states that when whitespace is ticked that whitespace will only ignored in the lower pane. Surely the upper pane and the lower pane should be consistent.

Maeve
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Sorry, I didn't know what you meant by upper pane and lower pane. I assume upper pane is the list of objects.

You should have got an email from us about this forum post being raised as a support call. Can you reply to that with some screenshots?
  • Hi,
    I received no email at all Brian.

Maeve