Problems with new version

rdaltonrdalton Posts: 36
edited January 27, 2006 8:55PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I upgraded our SqlBackup to the new version and have had the following problems.

a) After the install, I was unable to connect to our server because of the missing xp_sqlbackup.dll. I know I have permissions to the server. I ran the statement suggested in an earlier message and it still didn’t work (after dropping the existing xp_sqlbackup.dll). Then I tried it again hardcoding the path to the new .dll and it seemed to work this time. So I got past this eventually.

b) I created a scheduled job through your tool to do a backup and it says it was created successfully. When I ran the job, it says it ran successfully but actually didn’t. When I look at the job history I get “Executed as user: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM. Error executing extended stored procedure: Invalid # of Parameters [SQLSTATE 01000] (Message 20001). The step succeeded.”. This doesn’t seem like a ‘step succeeded’. Here is the code generated. This is exactly the script sql backup created.

DECLARE @exitcode int
DECLARE @sqlerrorcode int
exec master..sqlbackup N'-SQL "BACKUP DATABASES EXCLUDE [master, msdb, model] TO DISK = ''C:\BACKUPS\<AUTO>'' WITH NAME = ''<AUTO>'', DESCRIPTION = ''<AUTO>'', ERASEFILES_ATSTART = 5, COMPRESSION = 1, THREADS = 1"', @exitcode OUTPUT, @sqlerrorcode OUTPUT
IF (@exitcode <>0) OR (@sqlerrorcode <> 0)
BEGIN
RAISERROR ('SQL Backup job failed with exitcode: %d SQL error code: %d', 16, 1, @exitcode, @sqlerrorcode)
END

c) This doesn’t seem like a ‘step succeeded’. One of the problems we had with the 3.0 version of Sql Backup was the lack of error reporting. If the backup failed, the job still reported success. The new version is supposed to report errors but fails on it’s own generated code and still doesn’t tell us.

We are looking at LightSpeed but are hesitant because of the cost but we need a reliable backup tool. We were very excited to see a new version of Sql Backup but not so much now.

Is there a newer version than the default upgrade?

We are running sql server standard ver. 8.00.2039 (sp4) on a NT INTEL x86 platform. OS is NT – 5.0

Thank you for your attention.

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    In Query Analyzer, when you run just

sqlbackup

what is the version that's reported (it's in the column header) ?
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • When i run sqlbackup, i get:

Msg 20001, Level 1, State 20001
    Error executing extended stored procedure: Invalid # of Parameters
  • When i look at the properties of the extended stored proc it tells me the path is - C:\Program Files\Red Gate\SQL Backup\xp_sqlbackup.dll

but when i look on my machine, the path is - C:\Program Files\Red Gate\SQL Backup\(LOCAL)

the xp_sqlbackup.dll is version 4.0.0.113
    Try running just

sqlbackup ''
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • output from sql backup 3.2.0
    error: cannot find sql backup command line executable. registry information is not correct.
    It looks like you're still using version 3.2, hence the errors when running the SQL Backup-created job.

We first need to replace xp_sqlbackup.dll. If you can find xp_sqlbackup.dll in the C:\Program Files\Red Gate\SQL Backup path, check it's version. If it's 3.2, confirm that SQL Server is currently using that DLL by deleting it. This will not be possible, even if you issue a DBCC xp_sqlbackup(FREE) command, due to a quirk in SQL Server 2000.

If that is indeed the DLL, you would need to stop the SQL Server service. Then delete the DLL, and ensure that no other 3.x DLLs are present on your system. Copy the version 4 DLL to your SQL Server Binn folder. Start your SQL Server service.

Now run

sqlbackup ''

and check the reported version. It should read

SQL Backup (DLL v4.0.0.113)

If you encounter errors with missing extended stored procedures, you would need to add them manualy. There are 3 other extended stored procedures in version 4. Add them as follows:

sp_addextendedproc sqbutility, 'xp_sqlbackup.dll'
    sp_addextendedproc sqbstatus, 'xp_sqlbackup.dll'
    sp_addextendedproc sqbmemory, 'xp_sqlbackup.dll'
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • I get this same error and I have checked my system and all the DLL's are 4.0.0.113.

I'm dead in the water after upgrading from 3.2 to 4.0 :x