dependencies for a table created within a stored procedure

Frederic92Frederic92 Posts: 3
edited May 9, 2013 4:24AM in SQL Dependency Tracker
hello,

It is probably a newbie question so apologies for that but I could not find any answer in the forum.

I have a stored procedure MySP that creates a table; something like
"select * into NewTable from SourceTable"

and I'd like to have a diagram showing dependencies like:

* MySP depends on table "SourceTable" - this one is working fine
* NewTable depends on MySP - this one does not work

I think this is due to a limitation in SQL server as explained here : http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms345449.aspx

but I wonder if someone has encountered similar limitation and fixed it ?

Thanks for your feeback,

Frederic
Tagged:

Comments

• We use a separate dependency checking mechanism than SQL Server, however to the best of my knowledge, this isn't supported in the tool which is why it wouldn't be working for you.

I'm also very sorry to say that I'm not aware of any workaround at all. I'll raise it as a feature request for you though to see if we can support this.

Pete
    Peter Peart
    Red Gate Software Ltd
    +44 (0)870 160 0037 ext. 8569
    1 866 RED GATE ext. 8569
  • ok thank you for your reply anyway.

Cheers,

Frederic
  • POTOOLEPOTOOLE Posts: 2 Bronze 1
    Hi Pete

Can you confirm if this has been added as a feature request?

Thanks

Paul

We use a separate dependency checking mechanism than SQL Server, however to the best of my knowledge, this isn't supported in the tool which is why it wouldn't be working for you.

I'm also very sorry to say that I'm not aware of any workaround at all. I'll raise it as a feature request for you though to see if we can support this.

Pete
  • BlambersBlambers Posts: 1 New member
    Sorry about the Necro, but this still doesn't seem to be supported by SQL Dependency Tracker, Smart Rename or SQL Doc. If a table is created by a "SELECT INTO"  type statement, this should really be captured in the dependency tree.
  • Hi Blambers,

Whilst we did create a feature request for this we have taken the decision not add this feature to the product. Work is continuing on issues but the decision has been made that this issue is not a necessary addition at this time and there isn't enough demand to add it.

The feature request remains open so this can be reviewed in the future.

Kind regards,
    Dan Bainbridge
    Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software