SQLBackup Issue - Service

Kendall359xKendall359x Posts: 8
edited May 24, 2013 3:31AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hi Guys, We are having a few issues with our log shipping routine using red gate.

We have a server that is log shipping 342 database every 30 mins. We find sometimes that the log backup is getting stuck and hangs until we restart the SQL backup service.

We also get an issue with the DR server restoring the logs and again the service freezes.

Can you offer any assistance in resolving this?

Thank you

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    When SQL Backup encounters a critical error and hangs, it generates a stack trace of events leading up to the error. This stack trace is then stored in a file named SQBCoreService_<instance name>_bugreport.txt, and is located in 'C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Red Gate\SQL Backup\Log\' on Windows 2003 and older, and 'C:\ProgramData\Red Gate\SQL Backup\Log\' on Windows Vista and newer.

Could you check if this file exists on your backup server, and also on the DR server? If they do, could you please send me the files (peter.yeoh@red-gate.com), and also the backup and restore commands you are using?

Thanks.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Hi Peter, on a server in question that frozen this morning there is no log file?

However I have one from a different server that also froze this morning but its dated 27/05/2010

Do you still want it?
    I received the files you sent. It looks like you are using an older version of SQL Backup (6.2.0.134). The issue you are encountering could have been fixed in a new version of SQL Backup. Could you please try using version 6.5.0.23, which you can download using this URL:

ftp://support.red-gate.com/patches/sql_ ... 5_2_23.zip

The zip file contains two files:

SQBCoreService.exe
    SQLBackupC.exe

To apply the patch, please follow the steps below:

1. Close all GUI connections to the SQL Server.
    2. Ensure that no SQL Backup jobs are in progress.
    3. Stop the SQL Backup Agent Service, or disable the cluster resource if on a cluster.
    4. On the SQL Server where the SQL Backup server components are installed, navigate to the installation directory. Defaults are:

32-bit Machines - C:\Program Files\Red Gate\SQL Backup 6\(local) or <SQL Instance Name>
    64-bit Machines - C:\Program Files (x86)\Red Gate\SQL Backup 6\(local) or <SQL Instance Name>

5. In the folder you will find an existing SQBCoreService.exe and SQL BackupC.exe. Rename the existing files, for example to OLDSQBCoreService.exe and OLDSQLBackupC.exe.
    6. Now copy in the files extracted from the downloaded zip.
    7. Restart the SQL Backup agent service/cluster resource, and ensure that it starts successfully.
    8. Perform a test backup to ensure that all is OK.
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • This has been applied I will keep you posted.

I had upgraded from the older version already since my post start however I was running 6.5.1.9 not 6.5.2.23.

I will inform you if we experience any further freezing.

Is there a change log for 6.5.2.23?

Thank you
  • Hello,

This has improve the reliablilty a treat but the issue we have now is that every so often the sql job stops and we get a 2KB transaction log generated with no LSN details. When this is transfered it stops log shipping for the database in question.

Can you assist further?
    Could you please check if SQL Backup generated a stack trace file when the job failed, as described in my first post in this thread? If so, could you please send me that file, and also the 2 Kb trx log backup file that's generated?

Thanks.
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • E-Mail sent.

the stack trace attached file is from the DR server. Red gate has not generated a error file on the server where the 2KB file has been produced.
    Could you please send me the SQL Backup log file for the backup that generated the 2 Kb file? The default folder where the logs are stored is C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Red Gate\SQL Backup\Log\<instance name> on Windows 2003 and older, and C:\ProgramData\Red Gate\SQL Backup\Log\<instance name> on Windows Vista and newer.

Thanks.
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • I have emailed yourself with a link to the logs as there quite large.

Thank you
    I need to see the SQL Backup log file for the backup that failed, which appears to have happened on May 13, 2013 11:05. You sent me 76000+ files, none of which are for May 13. Could you please just send me the log files that were created on May 13, 2013, between 11:00 am and 11:30 am?

Thanks.
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • We don't keep logs that old.

I will wait until the next failure and then send you the logs, we keep getting it about 3 or 4 times a day so it wont be long.