Options

Profile HttpModule

KamilZKamilZ Posts: 4
edited May 3, 2013 5:15AM in ANTS Performance Profiler 8
How can I profile www application with managed http module (System.Web.IHttpModule )? I have tried profile method "Attach to process" and "Profile IIS application" but output missing types/classes from Http Module.

PS: Version 8 is very buggy :( :
- there is lots of crash
- profiling random stops after 1-2 minuts (in very big load)
- sometime I can't stop profiling because stop button don't works

Comments

• Options
    Hi,

Sorry you're having trouble with the profiler. The vast majority of the feedback we're getting is that it's a lot more stable now than in previous versions.

Could you provide some more information about your application, and the platform and version of IIS it's running on, please? Also, can you give us an estimate of how big the 'very big load' is?

If you are able to reproduce any of the crashes you have seen, that would also be very useful to us.

Thanks,

Dom.
    Dominic Smith,
    Project Manager,
    Redgate.
  • Options
    OK, but main problem is how can I profile HttpModule.
  • Options
    Hi,

We need some more information: What is the platform and version of IIS it's running on, please? Also, can you give us an estimate of how big the 'very big load' is?

Thanks.
    Dominic Smith,
    Project Manager,
    Redgate.
  • Options
    Windows 2008 (not R2) x64 SP2 , 16 GB RAM, Xeon E5450, IIS 7.0.6000.16386, application in .NET 4.5, 8 000 requests/minute in the peak (CPU utilization only 50%), SAN with mid-range disk storage.
  • Options
    Hi,

Thanks for that. Please check that you have selected one of the 'All methods inc. framework' profiling modes and that the Display Options dropdown above the call tree is set to All Methods.

If there are 'collapsed insignificant methods' below the HttpModule in the call tree, you can click the '+' to expand those nodes, but they are unlikely to cause a performance problem.

I don't think this sort of server load will be causing a problem displaying results from HttpModule, but if you still can't see the HttpModule types, please email your profiler settings to support@red-gate.com with the URL of this forum thread in the subject line.

Thanks,
    Dom.
    Dominic Smith,
    Project Manager,
    Redgate.