Silent Install

haglerglhaglergl Posts: 5
I've downloaded SQLPromptDownload.exe and need to install it on 18 computers. Are there any silent install switches?
Tagged:

Comments

• Anu DAnu D Posts: 876 Silver 3
    Many thanks for your post.

Yes you can make SQL Prompt install silently.

You need to run the SQL Prompt installer on the command-line:
    SQL Prompt_5.x.x..exe /IAgreeToTheEULA RG_LICENSE=AAA-BBB-CCCCCC-DDDD

Where the exe is the name of the executable installer you have and the serial number goes at the end. Most of the time, when this fails it is because you are installing as the SYSTEM account and that doesn't have Internet Proxy configured so the activation fails.

Let me know if this helps.
    Anuradha Deshpande
    Product Support
    Redgate Software Ltd.
    E-mail: support@red-gate.com
  • That works, thank you. Is there a way to run the install completely silent where you don't see even the status bar?
  • Anu DAnu D Posts: 876 Silver 3
    You can do it. I will email you the steps to do it.
    Anuradha Deshpande
    Product Support
    Redgate Software Ltd.
    E-mail: support@red-gate.com
  • IEA_HamburgIEA_Hamburg Posts: 1 New member
    Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

sorry to warm up such an old thread, but i havent found any other info.

I would like to know also how to install SQL promt 7 pro completely silent including the license, so i can remotely deploy the software.

thanks in advance
    HP
  • RichardLRichardL Posts: 417 Gold 4
    Hi @IEA

Thanks for your post. 

Yes sure. As per the documentations site you can do this using the following instructions: 

Installing from the .msi file

Last updated 14 April 2015
    You can install Redgate products from the Microsoft Installer files, rather than using the Redgate installer .exe. This may be useful if you need to distribute software over an enterprise network. 
    To install from the .msi file:
    1. Install prerequisites
    2. Extract the .msi file from the .exe
    3. Install the product
    You can adapt this procedure for your particular networked environment.
    You can use Windows Server Group Policy to distribute software across a site or domain. Redgate .msi and .mst files are compatible with the use of Group Policy objects (GPOs). For more information about using Windows Server Group Policy, see Group Policy (TechNet article).

1. Install prerequisites

Some Redgate products require prerequisites that aren't installed when you use the .msi file. Make sure any prerequisites listed on the Requirements page are installed.

2. Extract .msi files from the .exe

The Redgate installer (.exe file) contains the .msi installation file. To extract the .msi file from the .exe:
    1. Download the installer for the product you require. 
    2. Create a new folder to extract the .msi files to. For example, Redgate installers.
      If you need to install the product on several computers, use a network share that's accessible from all of the computers.
    3. Start a command prompt and navigate to the folder where the installer is located.
    4. At the command prompt, type <installer name> extract "<full path to folder for .msi files>" then press Enter. For example:

C:\Downloads>SQLToolbelt.exe extract "C:\Redgate installers"

The installer starts in extract mode. This may take a few minutes. 

Select the products you want to extract and click Next to continue through the wizard.On the final step of the wizard (Customizing the installation folder), specify the installation path. The path is included in the .mst file installation parameter and will be used when you install the product.Click Extract to extract the files for the selected product, including the .msi and .mst files, to the location you specified at the command prompt. If you've selected multiple products, a separate sub-folder is created for each product. 
    The product is not installed at this stage.To view the .msi and .mst files, use Orca.exe, which is included in the Windows SDK. For more information, see Orca.exe (MSDN).
    Editing the .msi file isn't recommended, and isn't supported by Redgate.

Install the product

After you've extracted the .msi installation file, use msiexec to install the product. To install the product on several computers, you may want to create a batch file to run the following commands:
    1. Start a command prompt with administrator privileges.
    2. If necessary, map the network share to a spare drive letter.
    3. At the command prompt, type msiexec /i "<full path to .msi>" TRANSFORMS="<full path to .mst>" ADDLOCAL=ALL then press Enter.
      For example:

msiexec /i "C:\Redgate installers\SQL Compare 10.3.8.406\SQLCompare_10.3.8.406.msi" TRANSFORMS="C:\Redgate installers\SQL Compare 10.3.8.406\SQLCompare_10.3.8.406.mst" ADDLOCAL=ALL

Make sure you use the correct .msi and .mst files for your computer's bitness.

The product is installed in the location specified in the .mst file. The installation is not silent, but no user interaction is required.
    For more information about the command line options available for msiexec, see Windows Installer Command-Line Options (MSDN).

I hope this helps. 

Kind regards

Richard. 
    Customer Support
    Redgate Software
  • RiyaRiya Posts: 1 New member
    edited March 29, 2018 9:22AM
  • AspireTHAspireTH Posts: 1 New member
    This works unless /qn switch is added. It just dumps out of the installer. Any ideas?