WinRT and Phone 8

MorantexMorantex Posts: 10
edited August 6, 2013 7:10AM in SmartAssembly
I can see no signs of enthusiasm by RedGate to add WinRT and Phone 8 support to SmartAssembly.

I've enjoyed using SA for some time but now it's falling behind it's competitors.

Dotfuscator supports WinRT and Phone 8.

The only comments I've seen here express a lukewarm awareness of the need but it seems there are no formal plans or announcements about this.

Must we abandon SA in order to get what we need or do RedGate intend to catch up?

Thanks

Comments

• James BJames B Posts: 1,124 Silver 4
    Thanks for your post.

I'm sorry to say we still don't have any plans to support these technologies in the short to medium term. We are keeping an eye on the number of requests for this and should we see a lot more demand, then it is of course something we may look into; but right now I'm not able to indicate any ETA.

For WP8 specifically; obfuscation should be much less important with the use of MDIL where the assembly is compiled to a hybrid stage with much more native code.

Sorry this is probably not the answer you're after- things may change in the future but there's nothing formally in place.
    Systems Software Engineer

Redgate Software

• iosubiosub Posts: 23 Bronze 1
    Thanks for your post.

I'm sorry to say we still don't have any plans to support these technologies in the short to medium term. We are keeping an eye on the number of requests for this and should we see a lot more demand, then it is of course something we may look into; but right now I'm not able to indicate any ETA.

For WP8 specifically; obfuscation should be much less important with the use of MDIL where the assembly is compiled to a hybrid stage with much more native code.

Sorry this is probably not the answer you're after- things may change in the future but there's nothing formally in place.

When I renew my subscription in December Matthew Capon told me that the new release 6.8 was imminent..

I’m waiting….

Last Email from Matthew 16/‎02/‎2013 18:14:

Hi Iosu,

We are to release the new ANTS tool in the next week or so, SA will be immediately after.

I apologise for the delay, we are just finishing the testing.

Regards,

Matt Capon
    Red Gate Software | .NET Tools Division
    Telephone Direct (UK): +44 (0) 1223 438 789
  • Unfortunately 6.8 was delayed due to some problems we discovered, and the team then had to move across to working on the Performance Profiler.

SA 6.8 may still appear; but support for WinRT and Windows Phone 8 is unlikely to be part of that unfortunately.

Redgate Software

• iosubiosub Posts: 23 Bronze 1
    Unfortunately 6.8 was delayed due to some problems we discovered, and the team then had to move across to working on the Performance Profiler.

SA 6.8 may still appear; but support for WinRT and Windows Phone 8 is unlikely to be part of that unfortunately.

so its time to ask for my money back??

I renew my subscription because you where going to Support Win8 and Wp8.

can you please tell me the person to talk about it?

Thanks
  • If you only renewed on that basis, then I'd suggest contacting Matt again, who should be able to help you out.

Redgate Software

• Same here, asked about Phone 8 and Store support back in january. I'm surprised to learn there are no plans for adding support. I'm currently in the process of evaluating other obfuscation tools (that all seem to support phone 8 and store just fine). A shame really, I have been a happy SmartAssembly user for years.
  • Hi,

I also was promised support for WP8 and RT by a sales person who called me in january/february. I made it clear that I had no plan to upgrade unless support for RT and WP8 was added. I was called back some days later and was told that yes this would come in a update.

I even got a call some time later (I did not note down any names) where I was told that now the RT+WP8 version was available for testing.

Today I was going to work on a WP8 app, and thought I just would update to the latest SmartAssembly-version...and saw that it does not support WP8 nor RT.

I have sent an mail to RedGate asking if this is true, and asking for a refund if this is the case.

I might add that I have been happy with SmartAssembly until now. And that I would of course prefer that I just could continue to use it for my future WP8 and RT apps.
  • Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the feedback regarding support for WinRT and Windows Phone 8 in SmartAssembly.

As James rightly says, there are no plans at present to add support for these features to SmartAssembly.

On WinRT / Windows Store Applications, you might be aware that we recently added WinRT support to Red Gate's ANTS Performance Profiler. We have seen very few users of that functionality in the Performance Profiler, so we don't currently believe there is a significant business case to extend WinRT support to our other .NET products. We'll of course keep an eye on the levels of WinRT use in the wider market and, if we see a substantial uptake, we'll reconsider our decision on WinRT then.

On Windows Phone 8 support, because of the introduction of MDIL in the Windows Phone Store, we don't see why you need to obfuscate your code like you did for Windows Phone 7. We are aware that some of SmartAssembly's competitors are offering this feature, however, so I'd be very interested in hearing why you believe that MDIL doesn't give enough protection.

Thanks,

Dom.
    Dominic Smith,
    Project Manager,
    Redgate.