Wrong information in the Activity History & Activity Propert

mtomto Posts: 11
edited April 11, 2013 11:49AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
hi!

i'm using SQL Backup 7.3.0.383 with SQL Server 2012. When i do my FULL backup of 3 databases with local & network copy, i get wrong informations (check the images at the end of the post).

1. The first database to backup doesnt have the icon telling me that there's a network copy of the file. The second and third database have the icon.
2. If i check the properties of my 2 databases activity that has the network icon, it tell me that "Copy To Network" failed!

in fact, everything has worked great. All my files are on the network so i don't understand why there's so mismatch information in the GUI.

redir?resid=341A82DB0B91EDD9!511&authkey=!AKo1SZ-vSzfsseI
redir?resid=341A82DB0B91EDD9!510&authkey=!ADaFX6duIi9AD9A

Also, if the network copy has not worked, it still telling me that the job has been Successful. So obviously, there's a problem with the way the GUI show us the information!

thank you for the help!

alex

Comments

• Hi Alex,

Thank you for raising this. This is a known issue in SQL Backup 7.3 (reference SB-5459) whereby the result of copying a backup to a network share is not reported correctly in the Activity History and Backup Properties if the VERIFY option is also applied to the backup. When backing up multiple databases with both these options (COPYTO and VERIFY), the results of copying the backup to a network share are not reported for the first database in the set.

I'm very sorry for the confusion this is causing you. We are currently working on the next release of SQL Backup, which will replace the installer. This bug should be addressed in a subsequent release of SQL Backup.

I hope that helps. Please get in touch if you need more information.

Thanks,

Marianne
    Marianne Crowder
    Red Gate Software Limited
  • Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Hi Mto

Thank you for your forum post and sorry that you have encountered a problem.

I will deal with your latter comment first:
    Also, if the network copy has not worked, it still telling me that the job has been Successful. So obviously, there's a problem with the way the GUI show us the information!

This has always been the case, failure to copy the sqb file created from the path specified in the TO DISK arguement to path specified in COPYTO keyword is not a reason to fail the backup. The backup was still successfully created. However SQL Backup should report successful backup with warnings when the COPYTO phase failed, by placing a yellow triangle icon in the Outcome field.

Now to the main problem:
    When i do my FULL backup of 3 databases with local & network copy, i get wrong informations (check the images at the end of the post).

1. The first database to backup doesnt have the icon telling me that there's a network copy of the file. The second and third database have the icon.
    2. If i check the properties of my 2 databases activity that has the network icon, it tell me that "Copy To Network" failed!

in fact, everything has worked great. All my files are on the network so i don't understand why there's so mismatch information in the GUI.

The help information is as follows:
    In the fourth column, indicates that the option to copy the backup to a network location was selected. The Outcome column indicates whether this was successful.

Outcome shows the results of the backup or restore operation. An icon is displayed so that you can scan the list easily.

So if I have understood correctly the first database that you highlighted in your first screen shot listed, in fact had a successful COPYTO action despite the being no icon to indicate that a COPYTO action had taken place in the 'Copy to Network' column?

The remaining two databases have the Copy To Network icon to indicate that the COPYTO keyword was selected but the copy process failed and therefore should have included a yellow warning triangle icon in the outcome column?

A support call has been created for you, the support call reference number is F0071480. Can you please send an e-mail to support@red-gate.com with a copy of the SQL Backup log file for this job? Please include the above call reference number in the subject field of the e-mail. To obtain the requested log file, select the required entry in the Activity History, right click and select show log. The log information will appear, copy and paste the contents.

Just in case the problem is a GUI refresh problem, please follow the steps below to clean out the SQL Backup GUI Activity Cache:
      1. Close the GUI connections. 2. Navigate to this directory on the machine where the SQL backup GUI is installed: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Red gate\SQL Backup\ServerData 3. In this folder you will find one or more .dat files, for example 1.dat, 31.dat, localDataCache.dat. 4. Delete all the *.dat files in the ServerData folder. 5. Now re-open the GUI. The *.dat files deleted in the previous step will be recreated. Are you now able to view the Activity History?

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Further to my previous post I can now confirm that this is a bug, reported in Bug Report SB-5459. I will update this forum topic when a fix for this issue becomes available.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • here's another weird bug (maybe its the reliated with the one you have mentionned).

If i go see the properties of a successful backup and a successful COPYTO network, i will see the word "Successful" in the Copy To Network column.

1. now, do the same thing on a item that the COPYTO have failed. I will get the value "N/A" or sometimes "FAILED" in that column.

2. go to another successful COPYTO backup and it will still show "NA" or FAILED". Close and reopen and it will now show "successful" value.

i have emailed you a few log files that i have. Hope it will help.
  • i have also included another bug in the email:

When a « transaction log » backup with copyto option enabled is made and the backup & copyto is successful, i get the icon of the network, the property window is show the good information but the log file is missing information about the copyto task!
  • i just totally forgot to answer your questions. Here it is:
    So if I have understood correctly the first database that you highlighted in your first screen shot listed, in fact had a successful COPYTO action despite the being no icon to indicate that a COPYTO action had taken place in the 'Copy to Network' column?

exactly, the COPYTO icon is missing and in the property window, it say "N/A". The log file is OK since that say that the copyto have worked.
    The remaining two databases have the Copy To Network icon to indicate that the COPYTO keyword was selected but the copy process failed and therefore should have included a yellow warning triangle icon in the outcome column?

not exactly. The COPYTO have worked, the icon is there, the log file say that the COPY have worked too but in the property window, it tell me "FAILED" instead of "SUCCESSFUL".

and about this quote:
    In the fourth column, indicates that the option to copy the backup to a network location was selected. The Outcome column indicates whether this was successful.

i would suggest to not only have the icon to say "option On or Off" but maybe have the icon with a yellow exclamation to say if something wrong happend to that option? That way, we can quickly scan the history and check if i have an icon of COPYTO that have worked or not, a "copy to cloud" problem or something like that.