SQL 2012 - Compatible??

smcleodsmcleod Posts: 5
edited June 15, 2013 10:17AM in SQL Packager Previous Versions
I am trying to package a database running in SQL Server 2012, and I get the error "ExecuteReader: CommandText property has not been initialized"... what could the problem be, or is SQL Packager not compatible with SQL Server 2012?? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• I hit the same issue packaging any database residing on a SQL 2012 instance. I turned on verbose logging but it doesn't give much in the way of hints:
    16:20:19.495|Info   |Logging             |1  |Current Logging levels enabled: Verbose,Warning,Fatal,Debug,Information,Trace,Error
    16:20:28.292|Info   |SQL Compare Engine  |6  |Register live database start: FOO
    16:20:28.292|Info   |SQL Compare Engine  |6  |Populate Live Start, popoptions: #rJg, #wJg
    16:20:28.292|Info   |SQL Compare Engine  |6  |Populate Live Start, options: DoNotOutputCommentHeader, IgnoreUsers, Default
    16:20:28.308|Info   |SQL Compare Engine  |6  |Populate major version: SqlServer2008
    16:20:28.308|Info   |SQL Compare Engine  |6  |Populate got casing: False
    16:20:28.308|Info   |SQL Compare Engine  |6  |Populate Case Sensitive: False
    16:20:28.323|Info   |SQL Compare Engine  |6  |Populate FulltextCatalogs start.
    16:20:28.323|Info   |SQL Compare Engine  |6  |Populate Fulltext Stoplists start.
    16:20:28.323|Info   |SQL Compare Engine  |6  |Populate Fulltext Stopwords start.
    16:20:28.323|Info   |SQL Compare Engine  |6  |Populate ObjectNames start.

• http://imgur.com/UzECV

Here is what I see from trying to use the packager with 2012.
  • Can you please try this patch to SQL Packager? This gets it working in SQL 2012 for me. Thanks!

ftp://support.red-gate.com/patches/sql_ ... .0.347.zip
  • Can you please try this patch to SQL Packager? This gets it working in SQL 2012 for me. Thanks!

I just upgraded to SQL 2012 and was getting the same message. "ExecuteReader: CommandText property has not been initialized"
    Thanks Brian, that small patch immediately fixed it.
    -Colby

I tried this package, and after it installed it basically removed the trial period from all of the SQL developer Toolbelt products. Any work around to that?
  • I hate to pile on another issue, but I think that patch (6.6.0.347) which fixed packaging through the GUI may have broken something else - Packager's command line interface (CLI) functionality seems to have changed. To make sure it was the patch, I re-installed Packager 6.4 and ran my CLI automation to verify it worked again. I then re-patched to 6.6 and changed nothing about the CLI or automation. I ran the CLI automation again and verified it no longer worked.

I have not yet compared product documentation to see if there is some switch that changed or got deprecated.

Here is the command line input/output: (carefully redacted)
    C:\Users\MyUsername>"C:\Program Files (x86)\Red Gate\SQL Packager 6\sqlpackager.exe" /verbose /server1:BuildServer /database1:"Ref_Database" /includedata:Table /rundatabase:"Db_Install_Name" /exe /name:"Db_Installer_Filename" /location:"C:\Program Files (x86)\RedGateOutpus\Installers" > C:\Users\MyUsername\Desktop\sql5.txt
    Error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Here is the content of the sql5.txt file:
    SQL Packager Command Line V6.6.0.347
    ==============================================================================
    Copyright c Red Gate Software Ltd 1999-2008

SQL Compare running with option: IgnoreFillFactor (OK).
    SQL Compare running with option: IgnoreWhiteSpace (OK).
    SQL Compare running with option: IncludeDependencies (OK).
    SQL Compare running with option: IgnoreFileGroups (OK).
    SQL Compare running with option: IgnoreUserProperties (OK).
    SQL Compare running with option: IgnoreWithElementOrder (OK).
    SQL Compare running with option: DecryptPost2kEncryptedObjects (OK).
    Comparing database BuildServer.Ref_Database with database ....
    Registering data sources
    Creating mappings
    Comparing
    Applying Command Line Items
    Retrieving migration scripts
    Creating SQL

Summary Information
    ===============================================================================
    DB1 = BuildServer.Ref_Database
    DB2 = 

Object type             Name                                           DB1 DB2 
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    				...Proper Object Enumeration Here...   

Details - comparing BuildServer.Ref_Database with
    ===============================================================================
    				...Proper Object Content Here...

Used mapping option 'IgnoreSpaces'
    Used mapping option 'IncludeTimestamps'
    Used mapping option 'IncludeIdentities'
    Used Sql Option 'DisableKeys'
    Used Sql Option 'DontOutputComments'
    SQL Data Compare running with Mapping Option: IgnoreSpaces (OK).
    SQL Data Compare running with Mapping Option: IncludeTimestamps (OK).
    SQL Data Compare running with Mapping Option: IncludeIdentities (OK).
    SQL Data Compare running with SQL Option: DisableKeys (OK).
    SQL Data Compare running with SQL Option: DontOutputComments (OK).
    SQL Data Compare running with Mapping Option: MissingFrom2AsInclude (OK).
    Comparing database BuildServer.Ref_Database with database ....
    Registering databases
    Mapping

For clarity, the "BuildServer" is SQL Server 2008.
    I can't find anything in the event log from Packager.
    Is there anything that the patch changed about the CLI?
    Is there anything I can do to find out more about what might be going wrong?
    I'd greatly appreciate some help.
    -Colby
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi,

The patch was designed specifically to solve the problem at the top of this thread. Given all of these problems, I would uninstall the patch. I have notified the product manager that there is this problem and that some effort needs to be put into proper support for SQL Server 2012.
  • Hey Brian,
    I totally understand. Thanks for relaying the concerns.
    -Colby
  • Any news on this being completed? I use Packager quite a bit and am getting close to my license renewal.
  • dw5304dw5304 Posts: 7 New member
    having same issue as listed above with patch 6.6.0.347 any eta on fix?
  • I am having the same issue as reported above. I can start SQL Packager (latest version). It can see my server, and the list of databases shows OK. After selecting a database to package, it goes to the next step, but that errors out.

It aborts when in the Register Database step, Reading Assemblies.

It says "ExecuteReader: CommandText property has not been initialized."

And it refuses to do anything else.

Note: I seem to be having similar issues when using SQL Compare too.

I have purchased licenses for both of these for myself, but they seem to be having problems running with SQL Server 2012.

I will try the patch, but it should be noted that your latest and greatest software products seem to be having some "issues" working properly with up-to-date versions of SQL Server.
  • OK...that patch fixed my problem.

But...

1) I had to spend time searching for this fix, after your software refused to work in an up-to-date environment.

2) The readme file for that patch is very explicit. It says, "This patch is for the error "must declare scalar variable @pv" when running a package.
    DO NOT install this patch unless you have the problem described."

But this was NOT the error I saw, so just installing the patch was an exercise in faith and ignoring your explicit warning.

Again...this was a waste of my time, that should NOT have been necessary.

I'm glad there is a patch, but why hasn't this been incorporated into the main branch? It's been over a year that you have been aware of the problem.

For the record, I really like your products, and use them on a near-daily basis (and I promote your products to my professional colleagues).