Backups fail if Builtin\Administrators group is removed

scaldwellscaldwell Posts: 6
edited January 23, 2006 6:54PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
We remove the builtin\Administrators group from all our MSSQL servers. When I installed SQL Backup 4 all my jobs were failing. I added this group back and the jobs run. Why don't the jobs run under the authenticated user?

Thanks,

Scott

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    Change the service startup account for the SQL Backup Agent service. By default, it uses the LocalSystem account.

The SQL Backup Agent service will log on to SQL Server using the credentials of the specified service startup user (Windows authentication). If you need the Agent to log on using SQL Authentication, do the following:

- register the sqbsetlogin extended stored procedure
    sp_addextendedproc sqbsetlogin, 'xp_sqlbackup.dll'

- call sqbsetlogin, passing in a user name and password
    sqbsetlogin 'sa', '<password>'

- remove sqbsetlogin
    sp_dropextendedproc sqbsetlogin

If you want to revert to Windows authentication, call sqbsetlogin with blank values i.e.
    sqbsetlogin '', ''

Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Msg 0, Level 11, State 0, Line 0
    A severe error occurred on the current command. The results, if any, should be discarded.

I tried

EXEC sqbsetlogin '',''

and

sqbsetlogin '',''

I got the error both times. Any ideas?
  • peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    I think there was a bug where the status was reported wrongly (failure), but the change in settings were actually made. You can try running a small backup and trace via Profiler, to see the login used by SQL Backup.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8