Nuget Package Creator

TredellTredell Posts: 6
edited April 23, 2013 8:19AM in Deployment Manager
Do you guys have a tool which would ease the process of creating Nuget packages? Right now, I'm using TeamCity and whenever I create a package my website goes into the content directory.

I would like an easier way to create a Nuget package with the directory structure of my website (dropping the content directory).

-Tredell

Comments

• csmithcsmith Posts: 138 Bronze 1
    Hi

So, the Development Team have just started work to make package creation much more straightforward.

Our plan is to create a simple command line tool that will allow you to easily create specific package 'types' and push them to one of the package feeds you have added to Deployment Manager. We’ll start by delivering a version of the tool (probably in 2 weeks’ time) that will package up the contents of an output folder into a 'generic' package type and allow you to push it to Deployment Manager’s embedded NuGet feed. Then we’ll add dedicated web application and database package types, where the tool will understand how to extract and package the appropriate stuff.

We’d be really keen to hear your thoughts on the command line tool once we ship it – would you be happy to try it out and give us your feedback?

Best regards,
    Chris
    Divisional Development Lead
    Redgate Software
  • Sure. I'd be happy to try it out. It'll remove some of the extra steps I take to create NuGet packages like copying the DLLs to the bin directory and deleting the lib directory after the deployment has completed successfully.

Cheers,
    Tredell
  • This may also be something that will work for my environment. I might be interested in testing this.
  • Another way to do this would be to change deployment manager to optionally only deploy the contents of the "contents" directory within the NuGet package.

I find with our current NuGet packaging process, using TeamCity, it's quite easy to add the DLL's to a 'Bin' sub-directory within the content folder, but it is quite a bit harder to create the NuGet package without the default NuGet folders.

Cheers,
    Tredell
  • csmithcsmith Posts: 138 Bronze 1
    Hi all

Just wanted to let you know that we have just released the first version of the command line tool I mentioned in my earlier post. See this thread for details of what's new in Deployment Manager v1.1.8: http://www.red-gate.com/MessageBoard/vi ... hp?t=16927.

At the moment, the command line tool will package up the entire contents of a folder, or allow you to configure the contents of the package using a nuspec file. Please visit our online documentation for more information regarding how to use rgpublish to create packages to deploy using DM.

Over the coming weeks we plan to add dedicated web application and database package types to the tool. When creating these packages the tool will understand how to extract and package the appropriate content.

Thanks
    Chris
    Divisional Development Lead
    Redgate Software