SQL Backup 7.3

MarianneMarianne Posts: 55
edited June 17, 2013 3:27PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
We’re pleased to announce that SQL Backup 7.3 has been released and is available to download. This is a minor release and includes new features and bug fixes.

New features
• Upload a copy of backups to a SQL Backup Pro Hosted Storage account with the backup wizards or using the COPYTO_HOSTED keyword. For more information, see Backing up to hosted storage.
• Track the progress of uploading backups to hosted storage from the In Progress tab and cancel the upload if required.
• View results of copying backups to hosted storage or a network location from the Activity History and Backup Properties.
• Manage off-site backups from the SQL Backup Pro Hosted Storage website. See http://sqlbackup.red-gate.com

Bugs fixed in 7.3
• SB-5335 - To restore transaction log backups from a folder without removing previously processed backups from that folder, include the MOVETO option in the RESTORE command and specify the same location. This is useful if you are log shipping to multiple standby servers and want to restore backups to each standby server from the same location (rather than copying backups to a different location for each server, then moving the backups to another folder after they have been processed).
• SB-5381 - When editing a scheduled backup job, the job name is only overwritten if the job was created with the default job name. If a non-default name was specified when the job was created, this is not overwritten on editing.
• SB-5428 - The SQL Backup command line interface (SQLBackupC.exe) now works on 64-bit clustered SQL Server instances.
• SB-5434 - If copying to a network share fails, the reason for the failure is given in the text of warning 141.
• SB-5436 - It is now possible to install the server components on a remote machine using the command line if the SQL Backup Agent service account password includes non-ASCII characters.
• SQL Backup should no longer attempt to restore transaction log backups that are currently being written.
• Additional debugging information is written to the log file, SQBCoreService_log.txt, when the -sqbdebug option is used.
• Occasional problems with behavior of the VERIFY option have been resolved.

SQL Backup 7.3 is a free upgrade from versions 7.0, 7.1 and 7.2. To upgrade, from the Help menu select Check for Updates or download a trial from the SQL Backup page and use your serial number to activate.

User interface version: 7.3.0.383 (to check the version number, from the Help menu select About SQL Backup).

Server components version: 7.3.0.57 (to check the version number, from the Edit menu select Properties).
Marianne Crowder
Red Gate Software Limited

Comments

• Did SB-4934 make it into 7.3? I don't see it listed.

Thanks

Chris
    English DBA living in CANADA
  • It would also be nice to see what verify issues have been resolved because my site has had some in the past and for that reason we include the VERIFYINTERVAL = 8 parameter.

Thanks

Chris
  • Hi Chris,

I'm sorry to say that we have not addressed SB-4934 in the 7.3 release. The focus was very much on the hosted storage functionality so we did not fix many issues in the core product. I appreciate that you have been waiting on this one for a while. Let me update you once I've got a clearer picture

Many thanks, Tom

Tom Harris, Red Gate
  • Tom,

Any more details on the verify issues that were fixed?

Thanks

Chris
  • Hi Chris,

The verify issue concerned scheduled backup jobs hanging when WITH VERIFY was included in the backup command. The backup was written to disk, but the RESTORE VERIFYONLY process did not complete, causing the job to hang.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Thanks,

Marianne
    Marianne Crowder
    Red Gate Software Limited
  • Thanks Marianne.

Sounds just like the reason I had included the VERIFYINTERVAL on advice from Pete Yeoh.

Chris
  • Can someone point me to the step by step process (or link) that explains how to upgrade on a Windows 2008R2 two node cluster?

On a standalone instance, it's pretty straight forward, but I'm afraid that's not the same (or should not) when RedGate runs on a two node Cluster.

Thanks in advance,