5.3.6: Stopped prompting variables in SSMS2012

PDinCAPDinCA Posts: 642 Silver 1
edited March 11, 2013 6:43PM in SQL Prompt Previous Versions
MS Intellisense is turned off.

Whatever I do I can't get SQL Prompt interested in prompting me with either local variables or SP parameters.

Current script is at line 350 of a 900-line SP, with a single DECLARE for over 30 local variables immediately after the "AS".

@ variables.

I KILLED SSMS2012 and fired it up fresh, too - NO CHANGE.

SQL Prompt is now USELESS - I might as well revert to Intellisense, at least it works!

Ideas?

As an aside, does anyone know how make SSMS2012 load in anything under 5 MINUTES? That sucker is a SLUG! I'd love to change the "Powered by Visual Studio" to "Impaired by ..."
Jesus Christ: Lunatic, liar or Lord?
Decide wisely...

Comments

• For performance reasons, the SQL Prompt parser only looks back a certain number of characters to find variable declarations.

By default, this is 5000 characters, but if you are happy editing XML files then it can be changed:

1. Open up "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Red Gate\SQL Prompt 5\RedGate_SqlPrompt_Engine_EngineOptions.xml" in a text editor.
    2. Find the tag <ParserLookBackDistance>.
    3. Increase the number in the tag from 5000 to something bigger like 30000.

Please be aware that very large values of this option have not been thoroughly tested and may cause performance degradation, so use with caution.
    Manfred Castro
    Product Support
    Red Gate Software
  • PDinCAPDinCA Posts: 642 Silver 1
    Thanks, Manfred. The ""%LOCALAPPDATA%\Red Gate\SQL Prompt 5\RedGate_SqlPrompt_Engine_EngineOptions.xml" file location doesn't resolve for Windows7. Do you have one for W7, please?
    Decide wisely...
  • Here is the path
    C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Red Gate\SQL Prompt 5
    Manfred Castro
    Product Support
    Red Gate Software
    Much improved.

Thanks for reminding me of the look-back - I just changed to laptop from a server for all my dev work and had the server value set very high.

Cheers.
    Decide wisely...
    Is there a pending item to get this moved to the UI, Manfred?

I have no more votes, but it would be very user-friendly to move ALL the XML file's Engine options to the UI so we don't have to go diving down folders that differ by OS just to manually edit an XML file.

Thanks.
    Decide wisely...
  • I don't believe there is an existing feature request for that capability.
    You can request this in our uservoice forums
    http://redgate.uservoice.com/forums/944 ... uggestions

I'm not sure if we can give you more votes but I don't think there is any reason you couldn't open a new account.
    Manfred Castro
    Product Support
    Red Gate Software
    I think I already have two! Why not three...? Cheers.
    Decide wisely...